What's new
What's new

Please ID this bolt or stud hardware item

Cannonmn

Stainless
Head about 1" dia, shank about 0.5" dia, 3.5" long. Didn't think to actually measure it when I was near it. Can you give me a name and/or function for these? I know my posts asking for ID's aggravate certain members here, but I really don't know of any other way to do it. Also I always encourage the detractors to bring it on, doesn't bother me a bit and I'm sure it makes them feel better about themselves.

img_5693.jpg

With the flats milled on them they look like some sort of jack bolts? Maybe the other stuff you found them with could give some indication what they are?

Brent

Possibly were used for levelers. Don't look like commercially made bolts- more like something that someone made for a specific use.

With the flats milled on them they look like some sort of jack bolts? Maybe the other stuff you found them with could give some indication what they are?

Brent

Thanks. The adjacent drawers were no help, unfortunately, every one in that particular rack (furthest rack from camera) seems to be a totally different thing. Other racks were more similar, one is all SHCS, for example. Another is top half, grub screws, bottom is button-head cap screws. Btw I could use about 70 more of these little steel trays with two hooks in back on each side, anyone know where to get them or they rare these days?

img_5678.jpg

Last edited:
Possibly were used for levelers. Don't look like commercially made bolts- more like something that someone made for a specific use.

Yeah I was going to say that but typically leveling feet would be fine thread but they are pretty small so? I agree a special purpose item.

Brent

I lean toward special project item, possibly leveling feet for something. The fact they have centers drilled in them means they weren't made on a screw machine and the threads were single pointed and not rolled. They were obviously not made in a manner that would lead to efficiency at a high volume. That drawer may hold the whole lot of those that were ever made.

Look like the adjusting bolt to move the motor bracket to adjust belt tension on a lathe, very similar to ones in an old lathe I had.

If they are simple leveling feet I would expect the wrench flats to be down closer to the head. I think they may pull up on something with some thickness to it.
Bill D

If they are simple leveling feet I would expect the wrench flats to be down closer to the head. I think they may pull up on something with some thickness to it.
Bill D

They could also have been intended to project well above a surface for a sliding or swinging catch, latch, or hanger.

Look at enough (older, simpler) autos and pickups, find a similar function, just usually with an over-sized Philips in the head, early days, or a Torx, later.

Whomever made these may have simply intended to hang heavier shelving, cabinets, bins, or directly hang jigs, fixtures, or tooling than store-bought ones could support.

As to the steel bins, still being made, new, AFAIK. One just has to look harder for them than the plastic ones at HF and Big Box, expect to pay according.

I wouldn't devote a bin to those.

They are too oddball, and too little qty.
And you don't know of the material, nor the heat treatment for strength.

If you store them for 20 years, and finally get a use for them, you'll probably be a few short.

Better to devote them to the "big bin" outside.

Might not have to look far to find a use.

Betcha they'd thread right into one of the common "red head" concrete anchor sizes...

But then what ?

Use them in a grade 5 application with what loading ?

Use them as weld on pieces, maybe they are leaded steel ?

Just like mystery metal, only good place for them is
recycled in a big furnace.

Qty (10) 1/2" bolts of unknown material....gee what a special find....

At least the pop rivets underneath those are "factory made".

Note the slight rust all over ?
And nothing on the rest of the parts in the bin ?

Could be the "special bolts" are made from leaded steel,
likes to flash rust.

Back