What's new
What's new

Please Identify this composite material

Theteacher

Plastic
Can someone Identify this material?

Very hard, impact resistant, high melting point. Not brittle. Fibrous plastic?

Attachments

• spacer.gif
    spacer.gif
    61 bytes · Views: 507
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 387
Thanks for the replies!

This would be use as snowmobile secondary clutch rollers. Materiel needs to be impact/shock resitant and machinibility (turned, reamed and drilled. It wont see any high temps. So would Micarta be a good choice?

Thanks for the replies!

This would be use as snowmobile secondary clutch rollers. Materiel needs to be impact/shock resitant and machinibility (turned, reamed and drilled. It wont see any high temps. So would Micarta be a good choice?

The idea of this material as a safety gear was that this gear would fail and little to no damage would be done to the machine gear train as a whole. Without seeing the actual application, I would say that it is not very shock resistant. Depends on the forces applied to it. It is definitely machinable, but rather abrasive on tools. Impact/shock resistant? In certain applications. I'm sure others will chime in.

Paul

Hi Torque Rollers Vs. Standard QRS clutch Rollers - YouTube

In the video you see the roller in action.

The first picture is the helix (cam) that the rollers ride on.
s-l225.jpg

and this is the part break down

0733_501_s.jpg

You can see how the rollers ride on the helix when the clutch opens. When there's belt pressure fron the primary clutch, the secondary clutch opens to the rate of the helix. The spring forces the clutch to close again (thats when the rollers are working).

The helix is made from cast aluminium and the original are white nylon rollers.

Here is an other aftermarket roller

s-l500.jpg

It looks like this:

https://www.professionalplastics.com/PHENOLICCANVASCEROD

Phenolic is a thermosetting plastic, meaning it will burn rather than melt once molded. It has comparatively low tensile strength and high compression strength, so it is often molded with layers of woven cloth to provide better tensile strength. The principle is the same as embedding steel rod or mesh in concrete. The cloth can be linen, cotton or glass. The glass strands are more abrasive on cutting tools than is the phenolic itself. Phenolic can also be molded with paper or wood veneer.

Levin, Derbyshire and Hardinge made some of their lathe parts (not gears) out of linen or cotton phenolic.

My 1969 Volvo had a steel pinion and a phenolic gear to drive the camshaft. I had two of the gears shed teeth while I was driving the car, which is how I got to see what the gears were made of.

Larry

Wouldn't be phenolic if it has a melting point. Phenolic is a thermoset and burns rather than melting.

I'm guessing one of the high strength engineering plastics but my brain isn't coming up with suitable names at the moment.

My first thought was orange G10 but that also burns rather than melts.

The melting was me saying that the clutch may see some moderate heat but not much at all. Ignore the melting point comment...

My 1969 Volvo had a steel pinion and a phenolic gear to drive the camshaft. I had two of the gears shed teeth while I was driving the car, which is how I got to see what the gears were made of.

Larry

1981 GMC Sonoma 4-banger was the same. I was able to source steel + aluminum from a Chevie inline six parts-bin research recce (with care.. only one SKU happened to have the keyway cut in the same relative position - the others, pre-emissions, etc, "time" a few degrees differently ..) for the replacement set.

The Phenolic - molded over an embedded steel hub with porcupine binding spines - wasn't really meant as a "fail safe". Quieter running was the goal, rather. Mine failed only from the sharpish shock of trying to catch it in gear when the battery had gone flat. Otherwise, they usually outlasted roller-link chains.

For the OP's app? Best to adapt something ready-made. Hard to beat mass-produced prices as parts-bin repair goods. Even harder to have to replicate years of exposure in-use that has proven a given item's durability/typical replacement need.
2CW

Can't tell you what's in the picture, but will say I use Torlon to make clutch rollers.
When I was playing with F500 cars and wanted to mess with secondary clutch ideas, Torlon
was our sorta "go to " material. Actually roller bearings on hard anodized helix was where
we usually ended up.
Dave

Thanks for the replies!

Micarta (canvas) would probably work, as would a filled nylon.

For the stuff in the picture, contact Graygo Industries in Oregon and ask for their P314 (I think the smallest ID is 3/8 or 1/2 inch though)

Back