What's new
What's new

Plywood manufacturing machines

NYPD

Plastic
Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this but I'll try. My dad and I are planning to open our own plywood manufacturing factory in Europe, specifically Bosnia. They have stuff similar to plywood over there, but its very different then the plywood in the US. Its much weaker, thiner and doesn't last. I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can get more information on the machines I need, or where I can order them from. Any information would be appreciated. If you can help in any possible way, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks everyone!

Do they have a good source of veneer logs?
Most important thing will be a manager of a successful plywood plant.
At least to get everything set up, the equipment list sorted, and the plant layed out.

There might be a bunch of equipment available right now.

I've been in a couple of plants, some friends of mine used to build that equipment.
Veneer lathes, rewinders, defect clippers, bunch clippers, etc.
It was very interesting... But many years ago.

This sounds Very intersting!

Sorry I'm no help.

Contact the trade attache at the German Embassy, and tell 'em that Arminius sent you!

Germany builds that kind of machinery.

call rosenquist equipment.... they make radio frequency presses used in the manufacture of plywood, the rf sets the glue. black brothers I think makes glue rollers....

Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies, Yes I do live in NYC and I plan on visiting some plants that manufacture plywood. Hopefully I can get some kind of tour around the facilities, to get a better look at all this. I been looking at some videos on youtube, which make the whole process seem very straight forward but Im sure there is more to it. Of course before getting into this, we have to see if the market over there offers enough raw material before starting all this. I think raw material is available but everything has to be checked before getting into something like this. Again, thanks for your replies.

I can tell you one company to NEVER call (PM me for the name) - they screwed us for in excess of $1 million while the owner restored himself a tall masted ship while lying to me through his teeth with promises to pay. It is a US company with a lot of installed equipment.

Spar Tek Industries in Portland Oregon makes plywood layup lines as do quite a number of other companies. Spar-Tek Industries - Serving the Wood Products Industry

If you are seriously considering building a plywood plant - you might consider buying a plant here in the US that has been shut down in the last 2 years - there a a lot of them.

How much of the production do you want to manage? Are you starting with logs or will you receive the veneer from others?

And - if you are getting the veneer from others - the quality of the veneer may require a machine called a "composer" -

We have provided complete plywood and LVL layup line upgrades for a number of companies - and the worlds fastest LVL line (50 sheets of veneer a minute layed up and fed into a press at 30 fpm) relies 100% on our control system comprised of servo, ACVector, servo hydraulic and linear motors - totalling 89 axes of motion.

Here is a line that runs about 10 fpm http://www.dieffenbacher.de/fileadmin/videos/Wood/LVL-Nelson-Pine_pal.wmv

The biggest name in europe for LVL is Dieffenbacher - we have worked with them on a number of lines here in the US - they are also a good company.

Get PanelWorld and Timber Processing magazines.

Try Globe Machine in Tacoma. Welcome to Globe Machine

I’d definitely contact motion guru for that name.

Yes, there are a lot of shut down plants. Try the big companies and see what they have to sell. Try Weyerhaeuser first. If they have something it is probably in beautiful shape.

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this is exactly the right place to post this but I'll try. My dad and I are planning to open our own plywood manufacturing factory in Europe, specifically Bosnia. They have stuff similar to plywood over there, but its very different then the plywood in the US. Its much weaker, thiner and doesn't last. I was wondering if anyone here knows where I can get more information on the machines I need, or where I can order them from. Any information would be appreciated. If you can help in any possible way, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks everyone!
are you talking about regular, construction plywood? In general, you'll need:
- soaking vats. Filled with hot water to warm up and soften the logs.
- a lathe for peeling the logs
- a clipper to cut the continuous ribbon of wood into sheets (plys)
- a drying oven.
- a sorter/stacker. need one for the wet plys and several for the dry ones.
- a layup line. plys are coated with glue and stacked on top another to make a sheet.
- a press. this heats and compresses the plys to bond the glue.
- a trimming station. to clean up the edges. Surface sanding may be necessary as well.
- a grading/sorting/stacking station.

log quality and availability is the hardest part.

There's a plywood plant about 20 miles from me.I helped put it together back in the late '70s.Everything Flatus mentioned in his post was installed in that plant and I might add a boiler to heat the dryers needed to dry the veneer and heat the press.You'll also need a log yard and the appropriate equipment to unload the logs from incoming trucks.I also remember three large chippers to feed the boiler and then there's the land 10 to 20 acres to situate the whole plant on.I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

NY,check your PM.........Rob Gross and I are heading out the door on MC's.He dropped some VG info via PM.BW

Back