What's new
What's new

Building A Crane Runway

Rick Rowlands

Titanium
I've been down in Steubenville, OH for the past couple of months dismantling a Westinghouse Corliss cross compound steam engine. Removing this 150 ton engine is quite the challenge, as the power house that it is housed in is quite small and there is quite a bit of stuff all around making for some cramped quarters. There is an overhead crane in the power house, however it stops short of the engine. To use the crane for dismantling the engine it was neccessary to extend the crane runways another 30 feet. These photos are of the runway installation.

Setting the southeast column.

Lifting a 20" dia. piece of seamless pipe into position for the southwest column.

Both of the columns in position and ready for the runway.

Sliding the crane runway girder into position to be lifted. We didn't have any rail so we used some 1 1/2" x 3" flat bar that was found in the next building.

Lifting the girder with two chainfalls, with a chain puller providing a side pull to keep the girder from hitting the columns.

The northwest column has to be 24' long as there is a pit where it has to go that is 12' deep. We found this piece of 20" dia. pipe that is 21' long. It has to go over the bedplate then take a nosedive into the pit.

Girder resting on the bedplates ready to lift.

Runway in position. I just have to fabricate a 34 1/2" filler for the nw column and a 6" filler for the NE column, weld and bolt everything in place, extend the crane conductor bars and it will be ready for service!

Nothing to it!!!

BTW, you may wonder why the new girder isn't as deep as the old ones. Well the old runway girders are 20' span, while these are 15' span. Both can handle equal load.

Rick...when you were a kid, did you play with erector sets??...
Man, I dont know how you do all this...just dont get hurt.

I'll laterally brace the ends of the girders by tyingthem into the end wall. The northwest (long) column will also be laterally braced to the roof truss. The southwest column will not be braced. On overhead crane systems as long as one girder is laterally braced the flanges on the crane wheels will keep the other side in line.

From the pictures it looks scary to me...

Whats the compression load rating of thread pipe and flanges?

Is there any math done on all this? The span of the open side looks very long for twenty tons. Could be the photos don't really show the scale of things.

Going to do a 125% test load?

Please be careful, this stuff falls quick...

Yes we have done the calculations on all of the components in this design.

The pipe columns are 20" dia. 1/2" wall seamless. Way overkill for this design. The flanges are not carrying any load as the end of the pipe buts up against the plate above it. Remember its not 20 tons but 12 tons since we will be making all heavy lifts at the mid point of the crane which is where the C/L of the crankshaft is.

We extended the existing bars which are 1 1/2" angle. For our Morgan crane we will use ductobar and I think we have enough of it for the initial 60 ft. run of the crane.

Were did you find the contactor bars for the runway? Any possibility of finding enough "extra" for the crane over the Tod engine?

Back