What's new
What's new

PM1440GT Lathe work with Dorian CXA Quick Change Toolpost ?

UF_Gator

Plastic
Has anyone used the Dorian CXA Quick Change Toolpost , Model # SDN35CXA on the PM1440GT Lathe ?
I want to be able to use the larger 3/4" tooling over the 5/8" tooling on the Dorian BXA Quick Change Toolpost.

Has anyone used the Dorian CXA Quick Change Toolpost , Model # SDN35CXA on the PM1440GT Lathe ?
I want to be able to use the larger 3/4" tooling over the 5/8" tooling on the Dorian BXA Quick Change Toolpost.

PM's gunsmithing forum should have several user of that lathe. I'd not expect big tool blank or shank sizes to see much use, though.

I can deal with larger yet on the 10EE, and have plenty. But none that could be fitted into any unmodified QCTP toolholder and still work. Top of the compound is too close to the center of rotation.

Some folk - lathe make and model not material - have addressed that by milling and grinding a few toolholders - usually Aloris-clan - to sit lower.

My approach would be to aside the compound, mount toolpost to the cross.

As we did, big 4-way TP's, 30" or so lathes. Compound might be off all shift, all week, or several weeks between need of use.

3/4" tools on a 14" lathe? You must have money to burn on inserts or be taking some very heavy cuts!

If you want to use the larger holders, mill 1/8" off the top. Sure is cheaper than buying a CX size post and all the holders.

BTW, Not many people would know that PM is Precision Mathews. IOW, a chinese clone of a 14" clausing.
JR

BTW, Not many people would know that PM is Precision Mathews. IOW, a chinese clone of a 14" clausing.
JR

... with a rather SHORT carriage, longitudinally. Very.

Not the most stable of platforms for cuts, heavy ones least of all, and one that would wear rather rapidly into the classic "rocking horse" pattern if so used.

"MA, Tau Xi La" class longevity, it just ain't a good candidate for, Chinese surname or otherwise.

:)

Back