What's new
What's new

OT: IR 259 Stopped working

mjmiller1824

Plastic
We've got an Ingersoll Rand 259 Impact Wrench. Specs can be found here. We've only had it about 2 months. We've kept it oiled, but recently it stopped working. I mean it still spins and sounds like its hammering but I can grab it with my hand and help it or stop it. Now I like to think that I'm pretty strong but stopping a theoretical 1050 ft/lbs of torque by grabbing it with my bare hand? That ain't right. So does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Like I said sounds like its running, the line has pressure, the hammering is very slow compared to normal though and it has no force to it. Thanks in advance guys.

P.S. This was an ebay sale for a NIB product so we may or not be able to do anything through warranty. We're trying but if worse comes to worse I'll be tearing it apart.

Check the inlet for a screen. You may have a blockage there. It will be in the bushing that the nipple screws into.

Cheers,

George

impact

If you don't mind, keep us posted on how, why it turns out because I think a bunch of us would like to find a relatively easy cure for impact slowness. Thanks, Wayne.

George-Thanks for the suggestion, I checked the inlet and there is a screen there unfortunately its clean as a whistle.

Wayne- Your comment suggests this is a fairly common problem. What are common causes? I suspect I just don't even know enough about how these things work to do real troubleshooting.

Back