What's new
What's new

Polycarbonate press shield

Mebfab

Diamond
Building a 50-60 ton electric shop press.

Looking to keep my internal organs, well, internal. Thinking of a 1/2" thick well anchored to the press poly-carbonate blast shield. Press is about 40" wide. Figure 60" tall shield by the width of the press.

1/2" OK or thicker? Comes a point where I can only afford so much. Maybe a steel frame with a steel bar across center?

Might be a good idea, but don't anchor the thing so you can't work around it. Lots of work doesn't require a safety shield, it requires access. If you have the vertical room, I'd suggest you make a rugged set of vertical rails so you can slide the shield up (counterbalanced would be nice) and out of the way. A swinging door type thing would probably be a nuisance, and bolting it on solid would be really maddening, I would imagine.

Avoid pressing anything that is hard cased or hardened through. It will always break off, so don't bother building a bunch of safety gear for shit that should not be pressed on from step one. Probably the noisiest work is pressing seized fits, not particularly dangerous so long as your pusher punches are properly secured.

Half inch will be fine I had a half inch blast shield that I built out of polycarbonate on a 300 ton press I built for hobbing dies. I blew up some dies and the shield took a direct hit with pound of hardened steel. It didnt break it just put a dent in it. I have one inch on my five hundred ton press

thickness isn't as important as reinforcement

if i was concerned about something coming loose on a 50-60 ton press...well, i wouldn't be pressing it (that way). but i'd want a shield that came down from the sky, and had a substantial steel frame supporting the plastic.

i had my hand in the way of an axle shaft that let go when i was pressing the u joint out. never again! it split my hand open like one of gallagers watermelons. i know you know this.

my point, if something lets go, the only fluids i want to clean up are the ones leaking down my leg...and the only way i can envision a safety shield working, is full width, coming down from the top, with a substantial frame holding it.

On machines I run maintenance on that cuts 8.5" alum sheets, they have 35" wide 3/8" thick poly for shields. Granted it is not 50 tons of pressure but the same force could be generated from blade teeth tipping off a 32" saw blade.

I don't quite remember who makes it, but there is a ballistic blanket made that you drape over your setup as you press and it supposedly takes the hit and keeps things contained in the event of a accident. Maybe less involved than a shield.

Stuart

Polycarbonate shield

Building a 50-60 ton electric shop press.

Looking to keep my internal organs, well, internal. Thinking of a 1/2" thick well anchored to the press poly-carbonate blast shield. Press is about 40" wide. Figure 60" tall shield by the width of the press.

1/2" OK or thicker? Comes a point where I can only afford so much. Maybe a steel frame with a steel bar across center?

Mebfab...I personally can tell you that 3/8" thick polycarbonate shield will stop a .357 magnum round fired point blank, only a shallow dent and a mushroomed bullet; 1/2 " should easily stop whatever your pressing and it decide to let go. Best regards, Mark in Buffalo

Back