What's new
What's new

Altendorf slider info:)

Mucraft

Plastic
Hi all, My name is Aaron and I am a woodaholic:)
My small wood shop in California burned down a year ago and I have spent that year working in the field and purchasing machines at auctions around California. I just leased a new space and ran three phase power and I have a ton of setup, maintenance, tuning, and dust collection questions regarding my newly purchased used machines.
Ill start with the Altendorf...I have a 1992 Altendorf F-45 sliding table saw that is in great shape but seems to have two problems that I cant seem to sort: first; the cast table seems to be slightly higher than the aluminium sliding table...has anyone here had that problem? I can't seem to find how to adjust(raise)the sliding table? Second; when i plugged the machine in the scoring motor was working fine.....I purchased an Amanna scoring blade and now it wont turn on:( the main blade/motor works fine. Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated
!

My small wood shop in California burned down a year ago and I have spent that year working in the field and purchasing machines at auctions around California. I just leased a new space and ran three phase power and I have a ton of setup, maintenance, tuning, and dust collection questions regarding my newly purchased used machines.
Ill start with the Altendorf...I have a 1992 Altendorf F-45 sliding table saw that is in great shape but seems to have two problems that I cant seem to sort: first; the cast table seems to be slightly higher than the aluminium sliding table...has anyone here had that problem? I can't seem to find how to adjust(raise)the sliding table? Second; when i plugged the machine in the scoring motor was working fine.....I purchased an Amanna scoring blade and now it wont turn on:( the main blade/motor works fine. Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated
!

Try your question in the woodworking subforum...

!

The sliding table should be a hair higher than the fixed table. I'm going to guess that the phenolic "ways" are worn or the rollers are worn. Also check that the entire sliding assembly is parallel to the cast table. If the extension arm is high it will seem that the cast table is lower. I have an F45 that I bought new in 85 and it still runs fine. About every few weeks I would scrape the crushed sawdust from the phenolic and put a coating of WD40 on them.
Your other option for the cast table may be to remove it and see if there are shims under it. I think there are shims as my bearings started getting a bit loud about 25 years ago. Bought new bearings and knew that the table needed to be removed to replace them. Never did the job and it still runs fine. Trailer loads of sheet stock was processed on that saw. It was in a cutting cell combined with a Striebig upright panel saw. F45 was moved to a different part of the shop when the rear loading beam saw was installed. I also have an Altendorf Elmo.
I am assuming you know there are 2 start/stop stations for each motor? Could be a heater blown. Check that the scoring runs freely as if it was never used the belt could get plugged with dust causing an overload. We seldom used scoring because it was a PITA to setup, and buying better blades gave us the cut we needed.
20190404_115145.jpg

I have an Altendorf F45, the sliding table is not adjustable but the cast iron top is adjustable and it should be pretty straightforward to set it perfectly. The slider and table need to be exactly aligned for best performance.

Not sure why your scoring is not working, is the belt ok? Start at the beginning to diagnose the problem and if you are not good with electrical stuff then get your electrician to do it for you next time he comes by to hook up another machine.

As a side note I use my scoring blade all the time and even more now that I discovered it has a height stop. I used to set it by trial and error and wished it had a stop built in and of course it does! It is an Altendorf! Simply the best sliding saw ever made. Mine is 1988 or 87 and still runs and cuts like new. Particularly impressive is the blade height adjustment as I have never had to lube it , just use it and it works perfectly, same goes for the tilt with that massive trunnion and all the weight, so easy to use after 32 years of service.

I also have several different thickness' of riving knife to match the different blade thickness'. The riving knife is simply the best and safest part of the saw and if yours does not have one installed then you are asking for disaster. It is so easy to have a small or large panel slide back into the blade by mistake. Properly set the riving knife never needs to be removed from the saw, it should be set just below the top of the blade which means you can make partial cuts into the stock without any problem. My saw also has the original dust collecting safety guard and I would not use a slider without one unless I was desperate as it is another must have safety feature.

Back