What's new
What's new

is it possible to turn the ends of a cylinder in a lathe without a mandrel

apestate

Stainless
I'm trying to get a Haas TL3 to spit out honed cylinders with all the lathe work completed in one op. the cylinder is like 49" so it fits in a TL3 just, with just enough wiggle room to move around the tailstock, steady, and crane.

The tubing is 4" honed ID to a 5" OD which is scaly and rough. I heard the tubing is drawn over. The OD runs out up to .020"

Without having a mandrel from a steel mill in that TL3, is there any way i can face both ends in one operation?

You can make a two-plug mandrel to fit the ends that tightens together with a big bolt. Be sure there's a shoulder (or a double nut) inside to let you drive them back apart. The outer one has to be recessed so as not to interfere with the tailstock center. Depending on the concentricity required you may need close-fit cones to draw in and expand the plugs. If the ends can be squared up first, the plugs can have small shoulders. That will prevent facing all the way down but usually a part like that gets chamfers at the ends of the bore for seal installation etc. so you can do that last. The plugs need radial splits like any expanding device.

Obviously you install on the part first and them load in the machine.

We will typically hold it with internal jaws and a bull nose in the steady and put a band both ends. Machine the 1st side with the weld detail and put the bores and threads on the second side. The band on this side is much closer to concentric as it was held in the jaws. By no means perfect but once the saw cut is pretty square it is perfectly acceptable for the vast majority of hydraulic cylinders we. When we have to get real fancy we start playing with mandrels.

Back