What's new
What's new

Powermatic BS 87 Blade Welder& Inserts

Can'tWeld

Aluminum
Afternoon guys well I thought I would post some pics of my PM87 band saw so that all could see and answer few questions.Its not in the best of shape but I've seen worse,it can be fix.First thing is as you can see the guides are part of the bad,I really would like to find some 3/8 and 1/2 inserts for those size blades.Which I will need to remove the broken one first since someone took mig and welded it in place.So I been working on that,but have not found any other than what DoAll has and I just can't go there.Another issue is a grinding wheel for the blade welder which is a model 600.I did do a search here and found post few yrs ago but looks like their results is the same as mine,just can't find one.I did send out some PM's to couple members that may have found what will work but we will see.One more thing,as you look in the pic of the motor section there is a place for a chip blower that I sure would like to find something that would work along those lines,I just don't think one of those fish tank pumps will work.So I went looking for a small air pump for a compressor but no luck.The one that would have been in those looking in a manual is a Smith #28 pump.So I google it but nothing.While I got the saw all down for repairs and paint I sure would like to find these kind of parts that will work or something that will work in their place.Anything I hope,so what I am looking for are 3/8& 1/2 inserts for the guides,a grinding wheel for the M#600 blade welder,a chip blower compressor.Guys if you have any information please let me know.I do have an add over in the classified section.Thanks---Can'tWeld

Attachments

• DSC03384.jpg
    DSC03384.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC03386.jpg
    DSC03386.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC03391.jpg
    DSC03391.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC03400.jpg
    DSC03400.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 164
Can't Weld: Why not fabricate some blade guides for the sizes you need. The shop where I spent almost thirty years, used to fab guides and then heat treat them. Worked great.

JH

Thats my backup plan,wish I could find some machine bar stock and just mill the slot.Never heat treated before so this will be a first.I guess using a torch to get them bright red then cool in oil???

Guys I can't find a small air pump to use as the chip blower but what about an airbrush compressor?Has anyone tried one of those to blower away those small chips off the table of a band saw?

My 87 (older than yours) has what looks like a 1 or 2 HP sized 1 cylinder compressor. I am sure it is OE. I have often thought a small vacuum cleaner would do a better job. It would be cheaper by far and the chips/dust would be gone.

I read the pump is made by smith located in the same town as Quincy compressors so it may be made by Quincy. Doall used a vane pump. if you have shop air, use that regulated way down. Get fancy and use a soliniod valve.

Smith #28 pump

Bill D

Last edited:
I have read of people making fingers of mild steel and soldering on a flat square carbide insert on the end as a wear pad. This was for a Doall saw which I believe uses the same basic finger design. Maybe silver solder was used.
Bill D.

From the looks of the guides fitted they are the same as the DoAlls unless the dimensions are wrong? If nothing else shop made should be dead simple to make, one set double ended with a step could cover both 3/8" and 1/2" blades.

From the looks of the guides fitted they are the same as the DoAlls unless the dimensions are wrong? If nothing else shop made should be dead simple to make, one set double ended with a step could cover both 3/8" and 1/2" blades.

I think it was Doall that would give you the blueprints for parts they no longer make/sell so you can make your own. I made some temporary ones from oak for my Delta bandsaw and still am using them 25 years later.
Bil lD

Back