What's new
What's new

Need an very small dovetail cutter

oliverdude

Hot Rolled
Where can I find a dovetail cutter that is only about .200-.210 dia. on the large end? The current dovetail is a 70° included angle (yes I'm sure), but I could use a 60° to make finding one a bit easier.

What material are you planning to cut?

One option is to look at HS or carbide burs, which do come in a dovetail shape, though I don;t know what angles you can find. There are small shops that can custom grind a carbide bur.

Woodworking router bits come in various dovetail shapes, and can easily cut brass and aluminum. They can also cut steel if you mind your speed and feed. Again, they can be modified to a smaller diameter in a custom grinding shop.

Larry

Where can I find a dovetail cutter that is only about .200-.210 dia. on the large end? The current dovetail is a 70° included angle (yes I'm sure), but I could use a 60° to make finding one a bit easier.

Not trying to be a dick but .2 isn't very small. .020 is very small. :cheers:

Harvey Tool will have what you're looking for or they can custom make it. They make nice stuff.

Well I guess I should have said it is for steel. Forgot to say that.

Compared to the tooling I'm used to it is very small.:)

I also had completely forgot about Harvey Tool! I looked and they have some I can use.
Thanks guys!

I've bought several sizes of dovetail o-ring groove cutters from Destiny Tool:

http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=OVEETejrMsuWtgfEhs6rAQ&q=http://www.destinytool.com/downloads/SPECIALTOOLForm.pdf&ved=0CBIQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHihUV_Hrhypd5-CHn7bbkkCXNA8A&dq=dovetail+cutter%20destiny

They stock them in uncoated and coated carbide, standard dimensions for dovetail o-ring grooves as specified by the Parker O-ring Handbook, both on size and a few thousandths under for finish passes. (Parker calls out an angle of 66 degrees.) They'll also custom grind to your dimensions.

Edit: for some reason the size you're looking for made me think it was for an o-ring groove. If it's not and you don't want radiused corners, just ignore my post.

Back