What's new
What's new

Precision lathe cross slide in today, out tomorrow ?

dennh

Stainless
Saw a posted inspection sheet for a Monarch 10EE where the cross slide perpendicularity was 0.0000"

Since typically this can range from zero to about 0.0005" concave only, does this mean that the machine is out of spec in a few months? It WILL wear and if it starts out at the limit, has no room to move.

Lathe manufacturers have to have a tolerence too, they can't make everything perfect just as we can't. Since you never want the faces to cut convex, the tolerence is perfectly square to concave a small amount. Wear probably won't change the alignment, if it starts out square it will probably stay square. On some lathes the squareness if affected by the leveling.

Also notice that many lathes have the tailstock
ram start out a thousanth or two above center.

The idea is, as it wears it comes in closer to
ideal. Basically it doubles the effective
lifetime that this particular parameter is "in
spec."

Jim

i bet they naturally wear the other way, since the load is on he tool post nearer teh operator end they will vear more near the operator, and thus into you spec more.

I agree with the statement that the cross slide that starts out faceing a bit hollow will wear in such a way as to face flatter.But I've also seen them wear to face in a bit of a convex surface curve.

Back