What's new
What's new

precision Level trouble.

bdrmachine

Aluminum
I'm trying to level my mill with a Fowler machine level I have had for some time. It is marked 6 inch / .0005/10 inches.

The Problem is that there seems to be a full division difference in the reading if I rotate the level 180 degrees. Is this level still usable? Do I split the difference and make the machine a half of division off each way?

I'm trying to level my mill with a Fowler machine level I have had for some time. It is marked 6 inch / .0005/10 inches.

The Problem is that there seems to be a full division difference in the reading if I rotate the level 180 degrees. Is this level still usable? Do I split the difference and make the machine a half of division off each way?

Depends on your goals.

If you are planning to scrape to restore accuracy, a better level will save you grief and error. I personally would not bother trying to correct a 'Fouler'. There are MANY better levels.

If all you are doing is seeing to it tools don't roll off the table, nor coolant flow away from the drains, a common carpenter's level is good enough.

Until you get in to LARGE CNC milling centers with multiple mounts, a Bee Pee or similar sized mill is generally a self-contained critter that doesn't much worry about way-twist from an uneven surface below it, as a lathe bed might do.

And if you DO have 20 thousand pounds Avoir or so worth of CNC?

WTF are you doing with a damaged six-inch Fowler, anyway?
:(

If it's anything like a Starrett 6", it's adjustable - just adjust it until it reads the same in both orientations.

If it's anything like a Starrett 6", it's adjustable - just adjust it until it reads the same in both orientations.

Fowler is re-branding some right decent levels NOW, and for several years already.

The old ones, OTOH, included some that were nowhere near as good.

Photo of the level would help, but I suspect if the OP has a look around, he'll already know what he has, where it stands vs other options, and what it would cost to go and do better. If even he needs to bother.

In answer to your question; Yes, just make it read the same when reversed.
If the level is adjustable you should be able to set it to read the same when turned 180 degrees.
Dan

Back