What's new
What's new

Precision toolmakers vise ID

R1Rider

Aluminum
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to machining. A friend gave this vise to me but we are unsure who the maker is. Does it look familiar to anyone? I need the rod end that connects to the bolt. Here is a list of makers I have found but none seem to be direct matches. MOST don't have the holes on the top to bolt this to your machine. Is that something that is done to the vise when you buy it new?

Starrett
Fowler
Interstate
Wilton
Tormach
Gibraltar
Suburban Tool
Shars

Attachments

• 20180219_154838.jpg
    20180219_154838.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 544
  • 20180219_154859.jpg
    20180219_154859.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 466
  • 20180219_154910.jpg
    20180219_154910.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 422
  • 20180219_154915.jpg
    20180219_154915.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 459
Seems that with having a drill press you might drill the dowel hole, then drill and tap the tightening threaded hole..
Hack saw away what need be hacked away and make it work. Cold rolled steel would be OK for this project.
Alro steel retail store likely has stock and would cut a piece the right size.
Don't know what they charge for one cut.

I inherited two similar that were started but never completed.

Obviously fairly common for such things to be made by the person that might use same for a lifetime

It looks very similar to the ones sold on MSC's website. Some are identical, they just dont have the countersunk holes on the top.

It has a different pivot bolt than the one I bought from Shars about 10 years ago. But the general design concept is pretty standard. It appears to be a decent quality, at least the solid part of the vise, big SHCS's. But the vises are so easy to make, it's almost a waste of time for any reputable company to build one as the Chinese one will surely be $100 cheaper.

R

Anyone here want to make me an eyelet that will work? I can measure the pin and provide the thread size/pitch.

R1Rider: I think everyone thinks if you are going to get into machine work, this looks like a good time to get your feet wet. You can do this. Good luck., We will be watching.

JH

R1Rider: I think everyone thinks if you are going to get into machine work, this looks like a good time to get your feet wet. You can do this. Good luck., We will be watching.

JH

ok, do you think rubber bands or zip ties will hold the jaws together so I can make the part I need?

R1,
Tell us this.... is the screw metric or American?
Also measure different places on the vise, are they
common fractions or odd sizes denoting metric? Can
you easily scratch it with a file, hard or soft?
Metric and soft would probably be an Asian import.
Either way look at what you need to make it work
then work to make what you need and you will have
a fine tool to help you make other things that work.
That was wise advice from the old gent that taught me
much about the trade 50+ years ago.
spaeth

R1,
Tell us this.... is the screw metric or American?
Also measure different places on the vise, are they
common fractions or odd sizes denoting metric? Can
you easily scratch it with a file, hard or soft?
Metric and soft would probably be an Asian import.
Either way look at what you need to make it work
then work to make what you need and you will have
a fine tool to help you make other things that work.
That was wise advice from the old gent that taught me
much about the trade 50+ years ago.
spaeth

I have not measured anything yet. First step was to see if someone could ID the design to establish who MIGHT have made it. Then I had planned to contact the potential maker and see if I could buy the parts. When that failed, I ask to see if someone would be willing to make it for me since I have NO TOOLS to make it. I guess at this point I will have to find a suitable piece of steel, grind it with a dremel till its of adequate size to chuck up in my DeWalt drill, spin it down on the front concrete stoop till its of acceptable size, then pinch it between 2 rocks so that I can center punch it with a nail and if I am lucky, I might have a drill bit that is the same size as the pin. If not, I will have to use the ole rat tail file. Not sure how I will tackle the threaded end........ I can probably hold it in a bench vise but need a place to mount that first.

I have not measured anything yet. First step was to see if something could ID the design to establish who MIGHT have made it. Then I had planned to contact the potential maker and see if I could buy the parts. When that failed, I ask to see if someone would be willing to make it for me since I have NO TOOLS to make it. I guess at this point I will have to find a suitable piece of steel, grind it with a dremel till its of adequate size to chuck up in my DeWalt drill, spin it down on the front concrete stoop till its of acceptable size, then pinch it between to rocks so that I can center punch it with a nail and if I am lucky, I might have a drill bit that is the same size as the pin. If not, I will have to use the ole rat tail file. Not sure how I will tackle the threaded end........ I can probably hold it in a bench vise but need a place to mount that first.

Well, given all that information...maybe you should start at a different spot, other than repairing a precision toolmaker vice. Like getting a Drill index. :)

R

No, but a big C clamp will. I would just use the base with the fixed jaw and clamp your work to that. It would be hard to get a C clamp on the movable jaw. I would use some pads between it and the vise and the part you are working on; aluminum would be good.

If you are going to be a machinist, you gotta learn to think on your feet.

ok, do you think rubber bands or zip ties will hold the jaws together so I can make the part I need?

No, but a big C clamp will. I would just use the base with the fixed jaw and clamp your work to that. It would be hard to get a C clamp on the movable jaw. I would use some pads between it and the vise and the part you are working on; aluminum would be good.

If you are going to be a machinist, you gotta learn to think on your feet.

I was being 110% sarcastic. Yeah, I know I could be creative and get it done, just thought someone that has the machinery setup could rough something in a few minutes. I'll figure it out.

Back