What's new
What's new

Preventing rust on blanchard ground table top

David J.

Cast Iron
I'm building a small table, top is a piece of 1060 blanchard ground and I'd like
to find something ( other than paint ) that's fairly easy to apply in my shop to
help prevent rust.
This is going to get light use and be in a area with maybe 40-45% humidity and no
quick temperature swings.
Kinda big to send out for black oxide, about 12 square feet total surface.
Any thing sorta cheap and semi-durable?
Thanks
David

I have a few centrifuge doors that are about 1" thick and Blanchard ground that I use when I need something flat but more durable then my granite surface plates. I keep them from rusting by painting them with beeswax dissolved in turpentine. You only need a very very thin layer. I just pour a bit of it on the plate and rub it almost all off with a cotton shop towel. When you want to get it really clean just the heat of rubbing it briskly will melt the wax off.

Starrett M1. Works, easy to wipe away when needed, easy to reapply from an aerosol can. Not sticky, dries to a barely detectable film.

Thanks for the ideas.
The Bostic spray looks like something to try. I wanted something "dry" feeling, sounds like
it might work.
Dave

Johnson's paste wax. I use it on all my wood working machines. They are in a building that's heated as needed and not humidity controlled. Wipe it on. Wipe it off. Never any rust, things glide real easy, no gummy transfer, a can is cheap, works very well, and lasts a long time.........Bob

Rust develops in acidic environment - even a weak base completely prevents the formation of rust on steel. I found that an application of dilute sodium hydroxide (lye or caustic soda) will prevent rusting. I wipe the surface with a a cloth dipped in the solution, let it fully dry and then apply a coat of wax (beeswax and carnauba mixture or one of the commercial waxes with those ingredients). It leaves a clean and pleasant to handle surface.

Back