What's new
What's new

Price changes due to CNC

AlbertNakaji

Aluminum
A fellow claims to have a milling machine (said it's like a Bridgeport), and a lathe (didn't specify size or make) for sale. In terms of prices, his comment was that the mill would be about $1.2k while the lathe would be $3-4k. He opined that the milling machine was cheaper since the demand/prices for used manual machines had dropped significantly due to the increased use of CNC.

What are your observations/thoughts about his statement? Have the prices of used manual milling machines gone down because of the change over to CNC? If this is true, wouldn't the same be true for used manual lathes?

I find that the price of used machines has been pretty steady over the last 10 years. While CNC has almost stopped the production of new manual machines, smaller ones at least, you are able to pick up used CNC machines reasonably.

The main factors in a used machine are it's location, tooling included, scarcity and condition.

I think living in Hawaii your screwed as to location :(

A worn out Bridgeport is worth about 600.00, around here, while one in great condition is about 3500.00

I just sold a Bridgeport Heavy 10 with a couple of chucks, lantern tool post and other tooling for 1900.00. Those are hard to find, in good condition, around Houston.

used manual machines havent totally collapsed but there is not much farther to go. Most are selling just above scrap. If its a bridgeport or a southbend that can be run in a persons garage then it is worth something. Big industrial stuff is selling for scrap or less in most cases unless it is in perfect condition.

I can see that a manual milling machine is all manual and requires 100% of operator time. But a lathe is semi-automatic and has been for over 100 years. a lathe can be started to cut a screw thread or turn a diameter and the operator can walk a way for a few seconds and tend to another job. Not so with a mill unless it is cnc.
Bill D.

My only observation on this is that I found that smaller, used, manual lathes were more expensive than larger ones. If it fits in a garage, it costs more.

Naturally, this does not apply to new machines.

I can see that a manual milling machine is all manual and requires 100% of operator time. But a lathe is semi-automatic and has been for over 100 years. a lathe can be started to cut a screw thread or turn a diameter and the operator can walk a way for a few seconds and tend to another job. Not so with a mill unless it is cnc.
Bill D.

Walk away while cutting a screw thread? Um... no :D

A fellow claims to have a milling machine (said it's like a Bridgeport), and a lathe (didn't specify size or make) for sale. In terms of prices, his comment was that the mill would be about $1.2k while the lathe would be $3-4k. He opined that the milling machine was cheaper since the demand/prices for used manual machines had dropped significantly due to the increased use of CNC.

What are your observations/thoughts about his statement? Have the prices of used manual milling machines gone down because of the change over to CNC? If this is true, wouldn't the same be true for used manual lathes?

Modern designed turned parts are still usually round and can be done manually. and very small lots can be faster to just make than program. lots of repair work on bearings or bushing, shafts etc.. is ideally suited to manual lathes.

Modern milled parts are more often to complex to profile without CNC.

More hobbiest buy lathes. Most don't think they can stuff a Bridgeport in their homes. They want to make pens and steam engine models.

supply and demand. if somebody buys dozens of old manual machines he wants to sell them. if they remain unsold for years price keeps going down til sold
when big company sells hundreds of manual machines it is more than a small city can buy for quite some time. some gets sold to other cities
often hundreds of machines sold at same time at auction in same bid lot. company going bankrupt has no interest taking many months or years to sell off individual stuff.

Modern designed turned parts are still usually round and can be done manually. and very small lots can be faster to just make than program. lots of repair work on bearings or bushing, shafts etc.. is ideally suited to manual lathes.

Modern milled parts are more often to complex to profile without CNC.

More hobbiest buy lathes. Most don't think they can stuff a Bridgeport in their homes. They want to make pens and steam engine models.

Prototrak lathe and mill basically a manual machine with a basic cnc on it can be used either as a manual machine or as a cnc. never took me more than 1 minute to program. sure you doing 10 things it takes 5 to 10 minutes to program. never a problem time to program
prototrak lathe will cut threads at least 10x faster in cnc mode. even with programming its still easily faster than manual thread cutting. same with cutting a slot on a prototrak mill or any milled shaped. it cuts faster no hesitating manually adjusting at spots. 99% of time even with programmer far faster to make part. if you drill hole it will magnetically hold position, literally if you turn handle hard enough and force move as soon as you let go it returns to position. takes 10 seconds to program position drill and even drilling if vibration moves table it returns to position. far faster and better to use the cnc on it but it still can be used manually if you insist

I find that the price of used machines has been pretty steady over the last 10 years. While CNC has almost stopped the production of new manual machines, smaller ones at least, you are able to pick up used CNC machines reasonably.

The main factors in a used machine are it's location, tooling included, scarcity and condition.

I think living in Hawaii your screwed as to location :(

A worn out Bridgeport is worth about 600.00, around here, while one in great condition is about 3500.00

I just sold a Bridgeport Heavy 10 with a couple of chucks, lantern tool post and other tooling for 1900.00. Those are hard to find, in good condition, around Houston.

Could you post a picture of the Bridgeport Heavy 10, I am not familiar with this lathe?

many machines really cheap are broken.
i had a mill somebody replaced brass shear key with steel one. then they ran slide to the end and spline on shaft broke off (steel key did not break on overload). try finding spare part on 50 year old machine no longer made
i have seen shop machines drained of oil as they are being readied to be sold for scrap at auction. then weeks later somebody tries using machine with no oil. many machines are broken or damaged

Man O Man, when I was a young guy, I and my buddies all wanted machines. We all lusted after a mill lathe and grinder to do our own race bike, sled, boat, and grey area work. It was a point of pride almost.

Today, "WTF is a mill" "my uncle has a drill press just like that" "my dad says the bigger the tool box the dumber the man" Yes we all love to rip on the younger generation but when it comes to this field they a disinterested and clueless. So, not buyers.

Back