What's new
What's new

e-mail address with "@" on your website?

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 2,506

Ox

Diamond
Was just talking to my plater this morning and he was telling me that he usta git 30 junk mails a day from his website before he shut it down. He warned me to not use [email protected], but to key it in as abc_at_1234.net.

I was quite surprised to find when I keyed in my address the first time that it did not highlight it automatically like this just did in the previous paragraph. But then I found a communication link that provided the link, yet didn't put the address out there for automated search engines.

Currently I have my address tex'd in as well as the "e-mail me" link.

Is this an issue that y'all have seen in the past as well?

Butchering the address is all fine and dandy here, but on yurr website just doesn't seem too good of an idea does it?

-------------

What say?
Ox

I have seen that type of 'butchering' on websites with a line underneath telling you to take out the " or replace the 'at' with @. Anything so the email address does not show up as an emai addressl to webcrawlers.

You can set up a script on your site that when clicked will download your email address to the senders email compostion, but looks like a .jpg to address harvesting bots. I put one on my site and it cut down spam dramatically. I found the technique in an old PC magazine and gave it to my web guru, sorry I don't have a link to it at my fingertips, the PC magazine site should have it in their archives and I'm sure it's available elsewhere on the web.

I see big sites do the above, or some have an internal email method that only allows you to type and send and email directly from a page on their site - that prevents you from sending them an attachment that might be a virus.

PS - my record for spam and spoofed spam email returns using my address was over 800 in one day.

If you want a linkable e-mailadress you don't escape spam
As a profesional website I need to have one
But I, or better my hoster has a spam filter that works great
There was a time when I had about 100 to 150 spams a day You can either have them deleted inmediatly but I had them redirected so I could check them before deleting
Sometimes a ligitimed e-mail it mixed up with the spam
Nowadays I get only little spam

Peter from Holland

I found this - -

Description: Ever wonder how spammers find and email you all that "junk" They do so by using robots that retrieve your email address from your webpages, and add it to their spammer's list. Here's a script to prevent spammers and email harvesters from finding your email address on your website. The below email address link is unretrieveable by spammer robots. Simply update the variables with your email information and relace your mailto: links with this script.​
Directions: Simply insert the below into the <body> section of your page where you want the email link to appear:

<script language="JavaScript"><!--
var name = "protected";
var domain = "cdrsoft.com";
document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + name + '@' + domain + '\">');
document.write(name + '@' + domain + '</a>');
// --></script>

I`ve got my proper email address on my website and get very little spam,maybe 4-5 a day max.Website gets a steady number of hits and always comes up on the first page of Google over here.
Mark.

If your web browser can process code to give you an email account, email "bots" certainly can as well. The only thing that is remotely effective is the .jpg obvuscation and that's generally just annoying for website visitors to use.

Just get a good spam filter and be done with it.

Plus, some serious spammers pay folks in foreign countries (read India) to actually scan websites and manually add email addresses to their spam lists.

Or just use google's email.

Tim

BUT BE AWARE,

Google has saved every search that they have EVER processed. They harvest them for information on all of us. They use that information for a variety of purposes, including but not limited to, targeted advertisements. So do you think they will not save all your e-mails. They will save them and use their content for whatever purpose they want to.

There is NO privacy in G-mail. There may be little privacy in any form of e-mail, but there is less privacy on G-mail than in any other form. You are giving them permission to use any information in them when you sign up. That's why it is free. They will use it. They will sell your information to anyone and everyone.

If your web browser can process code to give you an email account, email "bots" certainly can as well. The only thing that is remotely effective is the .jpg obvuscation and that's generally just annoying for website visitors to use.

Just get a good spam filter and be done with it.

Plus, some serious spammers pay folks in foreign countries (read India) to actually scan websites and manually add email addresses to their spam lists.

Last year I installed a firewall at a friend's home business. He had a simple DSL modem before, and had configured his mail server to forward all mail to his gmail account. The firewall is a Sun server with dual network interfaces and a lot of IP filtering, and a proper email server.

When it was turned on but before any filtering was enabled I monitored his net traffic and I was amazed. And I do this for a living. His DSL bandwidth was saturated with email traffic coming and going. He had little bandwidth left for his business which is streaming audio.

Because he had forwarded all mail to gmail, spammers quickly learned that his site accepts anything from anyone - not unlike an open relay. I'm certain he was on every spammer's list there is, and they were beating his bandwidth to death.

I configured the new mail server to accept mail only to legitimate addresses at his site which is fewer than 10, and to reject the rest. Then he got a real-time antivirus scanner that scans incoming mail and rejects it if there is a positive hit. Then I added greet pause, real-time DNS blacklists, and content scanning that looks for blacklisted URLs, common and uncommon spam content (Nigeria scams, etc). Then I added connection rate throttling, bad address throttling, quality of service throttling.

I also added several geographic areas from around the world to his IP filter so that his site is invisible to them, and of course blocked all unneeded ports.

By the time I was done his wasted bandwidth fell to a tiny fraction of what it was, and delivered spam fell from thousands per hour to a dozen per week.

Then I turned up a proxy for his web server which is now nat'd behind the firewall, as are all his servers. So he could still gain access remotely for ftp, windows shares, Mac shares, and web content, I configured a VPN interface that allows him to make a secure connection from anywhere. He has remote access to his desktops, web server, etc. over ssl.

He paid $300 for everything, but I gave away quite a bit because he's a friend.

So the way this all started was he had his email address in plain text on his various web pages. It is far better to create a small jpg image that shows the text of your email address, and it is easily done. Better is to not include an email address but that's not always possible. And a strategic thing to do is to add several bogus email addresses in html comments on the pages, and any mail they receive can be used to populate your anti-spam filters. These are called spam traps. Any mail to a spam trap can be used by automation to block the sending IP.

Well nowadays there is NO, ZERO, ZILCH reason to run an open email relay. Doing so will probably get your server blacklisted and you'll have to *pay* bucks to get it removed (from folks like the SORBS list). My email address is listed on my website and it hasn't negatively impacted my DSL connection at home.

I have had the same e-mail addy for over 15 years as have quite a few of my employees - at last check, our domain / e-mail addy recieves upwards of 300,000 e-mails a day - of those most are domain / e-mail address harvesting (i.e. chuck_at_kinemation.com or fred_at_kinemation.com, etc.)

over 99.9 percent of these e-mails are dumped by the Spam appliance - the rest are forwarded to an exchange server that then dumps about 75 percent of those and the rest are usually legit e-mails.

Well nowadays there is NO, ZERO, ZILCH reason to run an open email relay. Doing so will probably get your server blacklisted and you'll have to *pay* bucks to get it removed (from folks like the SORBS list). My email address is listed on my website and it hasn't negatively impacted my DSL connection at home.

As I said, it was like an open relay in that it accepted and forward mail so long as the domain was right. In other words a sitting duck for a dictionary attack. Any other domain would be rejected so in that regard it wasn't a true open relay. Regardless, he was forwarding a lot of mail to gmail at the expense of his bandwidth. Google was just tossing it out.

Back