What's new
What's new

price check for aluminum sheet in Midwest

powerglider

Stainless
I put in an order recentlly for 2100 lbs of aluminum extrusion (6061-T6) (square tubing), and was quoted a price of $1.45 a lb.

When I went to buy some aluminum sheet a few days ago I was quoted $50 per sheet. I wanted to buy 32 sheets, 4' x 8', 0.050, 5052 (not sure what the H was but I wanted to have a 90 degree edge bent on the press brake as a second operation, this was to be quoted separate from the material costs).

I looked up the weight of such a sheet and came up with under 23 lbs so I guess I was expecting a quote in the $35 per sheet range?

What am I missing? Do I need to bump up my order to exceed the 1000 lbs to expect a ballpark rate of $1.50/lb? Or is sheet more expensive in general than tubing? Or is 5052 alloy more expensive than 6061?

Am I trying too hard to save what appears to be about $450 on this order? I'm a 1 man shop and for me that's a lot of money!

If you are in sheet metal sales and can provide it to SE Iowa (Mediapolis, Iowa) then please let me know what to expect. I can also pick up if it's within 2 hours drive, 3 might be too far to drive but I would do that also to save that kind of money.

I put in an order recentlly for 2100 lbs of aluminum extrusion (6061-T6) (square tubing), and was quoted a price of $1.45 a lb.

When I went to buy some aluminum sheet a few days ago I was quoted $50 per sheet. I wanted to buy 32 sheets, 4' x 8', 0.050, 5052 (not sure what the H was but I wanted to have a 90 degree edge bent on the press brake as a second operation, this was to be quoted separate from the material costs).

I looked up the weight of such a sheet and came up with under 23 lbs so I guess I was expecting a quote in the $35 per sheet range?

What am I missing? Do I need to bump up my order to exceed the 1000 lbs to expect a ballpark rate of $1.50/lb? Or is sheet more expensive in general than tubing? Or is 5052 alloy more expensive than 6061?

Am I trying too hard to save what appears to be about $450 on this order? I'm a 1 man shop and for me that's a lot of money!

If you are in sheet metal sales and can provide it to SE Iowa (Mediapolis, Iowa) then please let me know what to expect. I can also pick up if it's within 2 hours drive, 3 might be too far to drive but I would do that also to save that kind of money.

Good price for he 5052 sheet. You can also check www.airpartsinc.com

5052-H32 Highest strength in the NON-heatable alloys. Not structual. 5052 H32 aluminum sheet has higher fatigue strength than most alloys 5052H32 aluminum sheet has excellent corrosion resistance, particularly in marine applications and has excellent workability. 5052 H32 aluminum sheet is commonly used to make fuel tanks.

Nobody else buying sheet metal lately?

Or nobody willing to share their latest pricing for the purchase perhaps?

Bummer thought this kind of info might help me save $400 or more on this upcoming job I have to do (modify a barn into a hangar for a plane, and make an enclosed trailer out of a flat one.

Back