What's new
What's new

Nichols mill spindle bearings

steel hand

Cast Iron
Anyone have a good source for these? I have been quoted over $700.00 with several months lead time. I was told they come from Australia. Sure would be nice to find someone with a stash of NOS bearings here.

you should be able to order them from any bearing supplier, we use bearing headquarters. You will need the numbers off of the bearings in your spindle and make sure to get the same grade. Mill spindle use high precision bearings,cheap standard bearings will not work. also pay attention when disassembling them to the direction each was placed on the spindle and how the alignment marks which look like a capitol V are placed

I was told they come from Australia.
I’m thinking they probably meant Austria. There hasn’t been a precision bearing made in this country since Timken pulled out in the 80’s. My guess is they have a part number of the Austrian manufacturer Steyr.

Any decent bearing house should be able to cross reference that. Do you have any numbers?

Regards Phil.

Its not NOS but I have a complete spindle assembly (excluding the elevation quadrant) for one of the older style "open" Nichols heads w/ 2 step pulley. I'd be happy to measure the bearings to help assure compatibility. Definitely cheap since the parts are used (though seemingly in good shape) and I'd like to get them out of my garage.

Greg

machtool, I'm sure you are right. I was told Australia by the girl in the office who does our purchasing. I don't really care where they come from... but the 2 months wait is crazy.

Greg, I'm interested. The bearings are Timken, L305649 *0 I think the *0 indicates precision grade bearings. These are tapered roller bearings, 2.000 bore X 3/4 thick.

That sounds about right. I'll be home on Saturday and measure them, and will let you know. I'm out of town again the following Monday till the end of November, so if we're quick about it, I could have them in the mail by Sunday- then you wouldn't have to wait.

Regards,

Greg

Just for reference, I bought a set about three years ago. Timken numbers are L305649 (3_0000) and L305610 (3_0000). Paid about $680 through our local bearing house, and had to wait about a week.

Josh

Unfortunately these are probably too small.

Measurements are rough, taken with dial calipers on the rear bearing. Front bearing is still on spindle, front race still in head;

Race OD : 3.155", .940" high
Bearing ID : 1.370"

Markings:

Race OD : < X-TIMKEN-3320 Made in USA
rear face of bearing, big end of taper : X-TIMKEN-3379 Made in USA
front face of bearing, small end (hand engraved) : 9-10-42 W

Pics;

(goop is residue of LPS3 I applied and remaining grease in bearing- I gave them a quick scrub in diesel and mineral spirits for the pics)

nichols-rear-1.jpg

nichols-rear-2.jpg

Regards,

Greg

Back