What's new
What's new

How Straight...?

John Gill

Aluminum
I am interested in evaluating the accuracy of a vision inspection system. Lacking proper tools to measure, how straight is the edge of a single edge razor blade? It is about the size and shape that I need. The thickness is good for the application. I have heard that they can make good small straight edges.

Thank You,

JOhn Gill

"I have heard that they (single edge razor bladea) can make good small straight edges"

Only by accident. All a razor blade has to do is shave you or take paint off your windows. If their edges are straight they are only casually so: there's been no effort made by the manufacturer to make them anything but suitable as a razor blade.

If you want a short straight edge you need something like this:http://cgi.ebay.com/Brown-Sharpe-B-...goryZ633QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I realize you were looking for something sinple and handy but when you're referring to "straight" and don't qualify it with a tolerance you are likely to be confronted with responses based on the affordable state of the art.

Forrest, he's probably trying to do a Foucault test ( for a para mirror ). Razor blade is what's used for this usualy. Needs to be VERY thin at the edge or will loose contrast very badly. Single side blades are better ( Gilette Mach...)

Alex, That crossed my mind after I wrote my response. I guess here is a good place to point out that partial info leads to wild goose chases but I been on both sides of that.

Back