What's new
What's new

Propane Tank Laws?

Machinery_E

Titanium
I have a down right cute little propane bottle that looks just like a little mini oxygen/acetylene tank. I took it to my welding gas supplier today to have them look at it...they were impressed with it, but sadly said they couldn't legally fill it. They said it needs to have a OPD valve on it...and the small dents it has are not a good thing...they refered me to another welding supplier, and they told me that unless it has a date on it (which the first supplier couldn't find on it) its junk.

So I'm curious, does anyone know how the laws work with filling propane cylinders? Is there a national standard or does it vary by state? From what I've been able to find out, up to 40 pound tanks gotta have the OPD valve on them. I can't seem to find out for sure if industrial cylinders are exempt from the OPD requirement. The first supplier said they aren't.

Thanks!
Eric

IME, to fill a tank, it doesn't have to have an OPD valve on it (finnicky things too).

If your tank currently has a POL though, then no one will legally fill it. Sounds to me like you just need a new valve, but not necessarily an OPD.

NFPA Pamphlet 58 (1998) requires that all propane tanks from 4 to 40 pounds have an Overfill Prevention Device (OPD). Most states have adopted the 1998 standard (or a more up to date version) as law, and hence, filling a tank without such a device is not legal.

There are some exceptions to the requirement (tanks for industrial cutting and welding gases, tanks for industrial trucks, some horizontal tanks...) but in general, your propane tank needs an OPD.

Gee, I feel like Hank Hill.

Jim

Federal law has changed, I have 6 propane thanks that are now all worthless. It is cheaper to buy new tanks than to replace the valve and have them tested.

I like to have several tanks of propane it is good to have a spare. I bought a new tank turned it upside down set it 4 ft above the old tank and connected them both together with a flexable hose. Turned on both valves and in a few days the new tank will gravity feed into the old tank. Then get the new tank refilled and 1 by 1 I can fill all of my old tanks.

Yep, I had to replace my tanks. Re transfilling, putting one tank outdoors and the other indoors, the feed one in the higher temperature and the receiver in the lower, speeds up the process. Putting the feeder in the sun helps. Of course, being totally law abiding, I scrapped my old ones. And if you believe that, I have some Brazilian brass mine stock I would like to offer you, only selling because the economy is down, etc.

Bill

Around here the convenience stores have a 20# tank pay and swap system. I took my old tanks there and swapped them! The gas costs a few dollars more but the new tanks cost many dollars more! Once I get the new valve tanks I can get them filled anywhere.
I did ask if it mattered and was told no. The company handling the tanks must get a hell-of-a discount on the new valves to put in the old tanks. Probably some kind of Gov subsidy, everything else is these days.

New Valves are cheap from http://www.mcmaster.com page 3331. I have changed about 30 of them...Bob

Replacement Valves for Bulk Propane Tanks

A perfect replacement for your existing bulk propane tank valves. All meet NFPA 58 requirements. Note: These valves are not for the 7777A lift truck tanks on this page.
Valves for 10-, 20-, 30-, and 40-lb. capacity tanks are Type 1 valves equipped with an overflow protection device. Inlet is 3/4" male NPT. Outlet has both an external 1 5/16" Acme Type 1 connection and an internal female POL (CGA510) connection. Valve for 100-lb. capacity tank is a standard tank valve with a 3/4" NGT inlet and a female POL (CGA510) outlet connection.
For Steel For Aluminum
Tank Dip Tube Cylinders Cylinders
Cap., lbs. Length Each Each

10 4.0" _______ ___
65945A13 $19.14

20 4.0" 65945A13 $19.14
65945A14 • 23.86

30 4.8" 65945A14 23.86
_______ ___

40 6.5" 65945A15 23.86
_______ ___

100 11.6"

I've taken all my old ones to WalMart to exchange them. They take the old style valve and give you a new Blue Rhino in exchange. Actual cost is less than the price above for a valve, and it is full of gas.

Also, I know we can do anything, here, but it takes a good hold on a thin shelled tank body to hold it tight enough to remove, replace the valve.

Think the last time, a couple months ago, the price was either 17.84 or 18.76.

Cheers,

George

Some of the shops here will fill them for welding (industrial) use. Not sure why. I also sent you a PM.

Industrial welding and cutting tanks are not covered by NFPA Pamphlet 58. Don't know if there are other codes or standards.

GregSY, your reference to that song is hilarious. Imagine Hank Hill singing it! With your permission...

If you wanna hang out and you've got to cook out; propane.
If you want something browned, put your grill on the ground; propane.
She dont lie, she dont lie, she dont lie; propane.

Tofu is bad news, sizzlin' meat kicks them blues; propane.
When your day is done, you want grilled dogs on a bun; propane.

If your steak is gone, you want a brat with onion; propane.
Dont forget this fact, dry rub your rib rack; propane.

GregSY, your reference to that song is hilarious. Imagine Hank Hill singing it! With your permission...

If you wanna hang out and you've got to cook out; propane.
If you want something browned, put your grill on the ground; propane.

Tofu is bad news, sizzlin' meat kicks them blues; propane.
When your day is done, you want grilled dogs on a bun; propane.

If your steak is gone, you want a brat with onion; propane.
Dont forget this fact, dry rub your rib rack; propane.

No, your song is hilarious!

Cat

to GMATOV (no.10)

Just a warning, up here, I've taken and exchanged for the same reasons as you at Canadian Tire. I found that I have to check the date stamp on the tank because (I've been told), those tanks that have replaced valves are only good for five years not ten with a new tank and valve. Wayne.

I have a down right cute little propane bottle that looks just like a little mini oxygen/acetylene tank. I took it to my welding gas supplier today to have them look at it...they were impressed with it, but sadly said they couldn't legally fill it. They said it needs to have a OPD valve on it...and the small dents it has are not a good thing...they refered me to another welding supplier, and they told me that unless it has a date on it (which the first supplier couldn't find on it) its junk.

So I'm curious, does anyone know how the laws work with filling propane cylinders? Is there a national standard or does it vary by state? From what I've been able to find out, up to 40 pound tanks gotta have the OPD valve on them. I can't seem to find out for sure if industrial cylinders are exempt from the OPD requirement. The first supplier said they aren't.

Thanks!
Eric

DOT requires that all LP tanks 45# capacity and under be equiped with an OPD(over fill protection device) valve. NFP 58 does show an exemption for "industrial welding" tanks. DOT regulations also list the criteria for re certifying LP tanks..deep dents may be cause to reject the tank. If the dents are more than 10% deep than the length of the dent the tank should be rejected. Part of re certifying Lp tanks(12 years after original date of maufacture and every five years after that) is filling out forms..the forms ask for, among other facts, date of manufacture, maufacturer, DOT #, condition of tank as to dents, condition of foot ring, leaks, covering(paint),excessive rust etc. In other words.. if your tank has a few small dents but is in otherwise good condition AND you stencil "For Welding Use Only" on the tank any propane dealer should be able to re certify and fill you tank.

I do this for a living and have changed out literally thousands of old valves and retrofitted them with OPD valves..no sweat, no hassel..pay $11.00 for a 20# tank valve and be on your way.

Steve

Back