What's new
What's new

Kurt D675 Vise

skanekurt

Aluminum
I would like to get some opinions. We are thinking about dropping the D675 vise in favor of the D688. We feel that with all of the volume in the D688 we would be able to bring the cost down close to that of the d675. Now you would get a vise with more features for approximately the same price as the
D675. Would anyone have any objections or see a reason why we should re-think this?

We appreciate your comments.

I think it makes good sense, it will allow you to offer a better product at a reduced price and simplifies your manufacturing and inventory activities, and these days people are watching expenses carefully, so every penny counts.

Good luck-

Paul T.
Power Technology

Seems if you can get them down to the price of the old ones, it would be a win-win for both you and your customers.:cheers:

Sounds good to me

I have some 675's and one three-inch, and have been very pleased with them.

I would certainly buy your US-made products in preference to imports, regardless of price.

Thanks for being there.

- Leigh

I have a 688 and a 675, both good vises. All future purchases will be 688's (unless Kurt makes something better). Just don't let the quality slip.

Sounds like a good move to me. My only concern would be discontinuation of parts for the D675 if you stop building that model vise. I kinda doubt that would happen. Brad

Hi Brad,

We ceratainly would not leave our customers hangigng. My goal would be to have parts availablity for about 20 years.

I have 7 of your vises and they are all great. I think dropping the 675 wouldnt affect sales at all it was probably splitting your sales any way. The same people who are buying the 675 would buy the 688 if the price were similar it probably doesnt cost much more to make the 688 and like you said drop the 675 and you will save a fortune in inventory and extra set up and tooling. I wondered why you continued to offer the 675 once you made the 688 I just figured you were using up the castings and when they were gone you would stop selling them.

20 years from now i wont be worrying about it by then the glacern vices will be the defacto standard, fair price excellent quality

Good Question. The 690 is built on our new HD platform where the movable jaw is a quick change. Other features:
1. The body height is the same as the HD series DoubleLocks (more stability under load)
2. "Pull-Type" clamp (the force is pulled from the stationary side as well as pushed from the movable)
3. 4 bolt stationary jaw (less deflection)

More features = more cost so we can keep the 688 at the lower price point.

I hope that answers your question. Thank you.

My initial thought is that the D675 is sometimes desirable in circumstances where you don't really need more than it's max opening and want to minimize the vise overhang at the front of the table.

Looking at the actual dimensions of the vise bases I see they are similar in base casting length, but the distance from front of the base to the T bolt slot is different enough on each that the effective length from T slot center to base end is 10.4" on the D675 and 11.14" on the D688. Still not enough to matter for most folks, but that sort of thing did matter to me on a recent installation where I ordered a new D675.

Anyhoo, just a thought. FWIW, I deleted your avatar since it amounted to "guerilla" advertising, which isn't fair to those that pay for display ads. Otherwise, I welcome this sort of thread here and hope you stay in touch with the product users here. :)

(and yes I realize kpotter's avatar is another example of that but in his case I think he mostly has it up there because it looks cool and considering his product, he's not likely to make a single sale from anyone reading this forum anyway, so the "fairness" issue sorta goes away in that case)

Does the fact that the screw is exposed on the 688 and fully protected on the 675 matter to anyone? I don't use coolant much but wonder if the 688 screw suffers more? Could be that the 675 screw suffers more, as, when coolant gets into screw/nut housings it tends to stay there?
Brett

Does the fact that the screw is exposed on the 688 and fully protected on the 675 matter to anyone? I don't use coolant much but wonder if the 688 screw suffers more? Could be that the 675 screw suffers more, as, when coolant gets into screw/nut housings it tends to stay there?
Brett

I was scared of the exposed screw on the D688, however after 3 years of use on 5 vises, I like the exposed screw. If a chip goes in, it comes out the other side and your vise still moves nice and smooth. On the D675, D60, those chips end up packing in there and require a bit more maintenance.

So what looks like it would be bad, is actually good, as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting point... I've never owned a D688 so didn't realize the difference in the screw design between the two.. until just now looked at the parts drawings and see there is a major difference sure enough.

If you will send me one of each, I will gladly try them both side by side and give a full report. :D

Well, it was worth a try! I don't own any Kurt vises, yet -- but I lust after one. Sigh.

Back