What's new
What's new

Do we need "A Wall of Shame" ?

bob

Titanium
There have been at least three recent incidents of one member cheating another on this board. Perhaps we should have a category where these jerks can have their names and transgressions permanently posted?
Bob

This smacks of reality TV being "voted off the island".

There are always many sides to every story and the "correct outcome" is not always purely black and white.

I am of the belief that business disputes should be handled in private as much as possible, with "the people's court" as a last ditch effort.

(I reserve the right to change my stance if Ali Babin reappears and starts bilking en masse ;) )

No. Theres no way to examine evidence or circumstances associated with alleged cases of cheating or fraud. Thus fair and impartial judgement is impossible for the member at large. What is possible is charge and counter charge where malice, witless partisanship, and undetectable falsehood can play a big part in the outcome.

I'm very much against such an institution. This is a message board not a vigilante court. The potential for escalating rancor is such that it could destroy the sense of community we share.

No.

What goes around comes around and they will eventually get what they deserve, good or bad.

In the meantime, why ruin the great thing we've got going here?

The transactions I have had with members have all been positive, and I hope the folks that I have dealt with are in agreement.. No complaints, so far... If there are any complaints, please let me know, so we can work things out..

In 15 years of owning a shop, I have been bilked out of about 100,000.00 bucks. Yes, it pisses me off.. but I guess it is just a part of being in business.. Really, it is just Monopoly Money.. God will tally up the score at the end...

Some forums have a "board of Inquiry" that both positive and negative comments get posted on. Below is a link to one on an airgun forum. Before someone comments that obviously airguns are only $25 items, I should note that a number of these transactions are in the $500-$1500 range. Most of the comments are positive and it tends to get used as a filter to see if you want to do a transaction with someone you have never met. It also discourages the scam artists. In the case where there is a disagreement, both parties usually post their opinions so you get to decide if you still would want to deal with that person.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/406412/

Charles

I don't say yes, and I don't say no.
I have never been screwed by any member of this or any other forum I have been a member of.

I attribute that to the integrity of the members. MANY members, not all, have been here for a long time. NONE, I would think, would like for anybody to say "Joe Blow asked me to cross ship him something, and I did and he didn't send the check."

As I say, I have never had that, here. If anybody has been screwed royally, YES, I would think you SHOULD be able to broadcast it across the forum.

If you got screwed out of 9 bucks shipping, WTH, BFD. If it was worth 2.50, yeah, you could get pissed. If it sold for 600 bucks and they stiffed you on the same 9 bucks shipping, eat it.

And, you can easily stick 600 bucks and more in that "one price box".

Then too, watch out what you call a bad delivery. You bought pristine 4 flute end mills, they might have a corner or 2 chipped, shipping damage is possible. They're burnt out, yes, you got a bitch.

I have thought about this, too. But, you got to remember, some people have more of a life than to sit at home, open the mail, pay right now. When they get HOME, open the mail, find what they ordered, are satisfied, they write the check, mail it with a thank you note. That is more my experience.

There is not a member on the forum whom I would hesitate to send something to without a credit check.

Just wish there were some plumbers here who needed large fittings, steel and copper. Hate like hell to scrap a 2 inch fitting, 30 bucks, for 3 bucks scrap price, or a buck for the steel fittings, or less, for wieght.

Ah, well.

Cheers,
George

I always did think though that the "clear
plexiglass counter with the bounced checks
under it" was a nice touch.

All your neighbors can see your bounced check
at the local store!

Jim

Being one of those that appears to currently be on the short end of the stick, no to this idea.

Way too many ifs:

1. Was he called home to the old country on emergency?

2. Did he meet an untimely end?

3. Did his computer let out smoke?

And so on and on.

But it would be nice to have either the Acme taps or my money back :D

John

It becomes a witch hunt with a thread about it.

Only time will tell if someone really did "stiff" someone. This seems like a good bunch and delays do happen. I mean think of it this way, you agree to a deal on Day "1" lets say, you ship the item Day "2", item gets to the buyers place at Day "4", in the mean time the buyer works for a company and is "on call" for field work and is sent 500 miles away for 2 weeks, so on Day "14" he gets back, he sends the money on Day "16" after a nice rest, in the mean time your wondering its been 2 weeks where is the money, so you come to the forum, post his name on the "witch hunt" section, ruin the guys name with everyone bickering about how he "cheated" you, he comes on the forum to see this gets p*ssed off and may post some things he shouldn't have, Day "23" the money comes then the seller feels bad for posting the buyers name.

That is a quite probably senario for many here being called in to work "away from the shop" and I can imagine it would happen many times.

If (or better said "when") I do buy or sell something on this forum I wouldn't really worry about the item or money for a good month seeing as a simple 2 week delay for work, health or anything else can delay the process a month easily. And the members (as a whole) don't seem like they'd rip you off so I think only time will tell in these cases not a witch hunt.

Dimitri

Back