What's new
What's new

Harrison 12 x 36 Anyone ever run one?

Flying Freak

Aluminum
Any one have any info on this lathe?

One for sale locally haven't gone to check it out. Asking 2k for it apparently comes with lots of accessories, no idea what they are yet.

Are theses considered good lathes? Haven't found all that much on them online other then originally from England.

Steven

Not the same as what you're looking at, but I ran a Harrison M600 at work for 15+ years. Wonderful machine, I loved it. Some thought the compound was a little light duty (we had a few in the shop) but I never had a problem with it.

Hello Flying, am local to you !
We have a Colchester Student 1800, same range as your machine.
Very similar. We love it, good stout little bugger.
Chomedey Precision in Laval used to have a couple Harrison's before
they went Mazak in the mid nineties. The owners son ( Claude ) would run them
ragged and they would replace as needed. When nthey closed 2 years ago there was a nice
late Colchester that I missed, same basic size 30" or so all tooled up..
2K would be cheap if it's good if it's in good shape.

i ran a 1960's one for several years like this one :

Page Title

it was a fine little machine , and was reasonably accurate and powerful
for its size -

definitely no Monarch , but 10x better than some modern Enco / Horror Freight junk.

what the value is depends on the condition and tooling ,. plus what's available
in your location. but if it's in good shape and well tooled $2k CAD might be a good deal .

Hello Flying
There are few models of Harrison over the years, the following site would identify which one.
lathes
To give you some idea Harrison lathes were fitted to many Royal Navy Battle ships and Frigates.
They are built to last very seldom need spares.
I have a Harrison L5a still as good as new for accuracy even though it has had 50 odd years of use.
If it is a latter model and in good nick (complete with steady's , 3and 4 jaw chucks + keys and C spanners, headstock center and manual) it sounds a reasonable price.
Trev

The only complaint I ever heard about their lathes is that their carriages are not very wide,which is true. I saw a nice 16" one,and it did have a rather narrow carriage. I have a Harrison universal mill I like just fine.

You can see one like mine on Tony Griffith's site,except his has the earlier curved top overhead arm. Mine is straight,and I wish it was curved. Maybe mine is stronger,though.

It's just a horizontal mill with swiveling table. Harrison stopped making them and destroyed all the manuals and spare parts. Stupid thing to do!!

I always wanted to repaint the original TURQUOISE color of the mill!!! It think it is a very well made gear driven machine. Certainly can put out torque for its size.

Back