Dorsey is offline Plastic

Default Punch and die for a small arbor press

I just acquired a Dake 1 Ton arbor press that had been configured for (I think) punching small holes. As the photos show, there is a punch holder and a custom-made die plate fastened to the frame, replacing the bolster.

It hadn't occurred to me to use an arbor press for this purpose, but I can see where I might want to do this every now and then. Can anyone tell me a source for these parts? The punch holder has a 1/2" shaft that affixes to the ram, and the plate has a 1 1/8" hole that I presume held a collared die.

Also, is there a place where I might find a new bolster, or should I just plan on making one myself?

Thanks,
    Dorsey

TDegenhart is online now Stainless

Make it yourself.

This is a very common practice with arbor presses, either boring a hole in the ram for a punch or punch holder and fastening a die holder to the base. Also very common is to mount a die set where the leader pins give more control of the punch. The biggest problem with most arbor presses is that there is so much slop that without a die shoe, controlling the die clearance is very difficult.

Yours has been fitted with a stroke stop on the ram, also common for this application.

Particularly common for short run shops and model shops.

Tom

Limy Sami is offline Diamond

X 2 on common pratice - I've made a lot of $$ with simple dies and punches on my old arbor press.

adama is offline Diamond

Another great use for them is stamping parts with numbers, can go really quick.