What's new
What's new

Punch and die for a small arbor press

Dorsey

Plastic
I just acquired a Dake 1 Ton arbor press that had been configured for (I think) punching small holes. As the photos show, there is a punch holder and a custom-made die plate fastened to the frame, replacing the bolster.

CIMG2483.JPG

CIMG2484.JPG

It hadn't occurred to me to use an arbor press for this purpose, but I can see where I might want to do this every now and then. Can anyone tell me a source for these parts? The punch holder has a 1/2" shaft that affixes to the ram, and the plate has a 1 1/8" hole that I presume held a collared die.

Also, is there a place where I might find a new bolster, or should I just plan on making one myself?

Thanks,
Dorsey

Make it yourself.

This is a very common practice with arbor presses, either boring a hole in the ram for a punch or punch holder and fastening a die holder to the base. Also very common is to mount a die set where the leader pins give more control of the punch. The biggest problem with most arbor presses is that there is so much slop that without a die shoe, controlling the die clearance is very difficult.

Yours has been fitted with a stroke stop on the ram, also common for this application.

Particularly common for short run shops and model shops.

Tom

Another great use for them is stamping parts with numbers, can go really quick.

Back