What's new
What's new

Purpose of larger motor on end unit of quad Drill Press?

Cannonmn

Stainless
This old Allen quad Drill Press has a larger motor on the right-most unit. I’ve seen that before when the end unit was the one that was equipped with power downfeed (one by a different maker.). The Power downfeed option was pretty conspicuous since there was a drum-shaped gear case about a foot in diameter hanging off the front of the end unit and motor was twice size of the three others.

So the pictures deal with the Allen machine with similar “bigger end motor” feature but end unit quill structure is same as the other three. Could the end motor drive a gear train to raise and lower the table perhaps?
C5BBBA5E-18BC-47B7-8C8E-3AA64B2E92F4.jpg30800169-220D-441E-A4B6-DDC98B521B50.jpg65EE3E1A-C376-46CA-943F-44EBC4A94CAB.jpg

The larger frame motor could be about the same HP as the others, but have a lower rated speed. Lower speed could be good for tapping or drilling larger holes in steel or cast iron. If anyone forgot the math, same power and less speed means more torque, one possible reason for a larger frame.

Larry

Thanks, yes some possibilities there. If a replacement they did a great job matching the paint. Looking at that motor again, there’s a box under it that’s not under the others. Thinking the motor shaft might come out both ends and lower end of shaft might go into that box. Too bad all I have is a few photos and can’t go poke around it myself.

Longer motor with similar winding will give more torque. Maybe that one was used for tapping holes? Four presses - could have been spot/center drilling, drilling, chamfering, tapping.

3ABE0DCE-7E5D-4DE3-82D0-EE8CF3A397CC.jpgLemme post the other photo I left out for brevity but now looks like it might help. The table mechanism is interesting, one tiny crank axle under left of table as we look at it. One worm screw, to raise/lower. The end of a shaft is visible under ctr of table. The two jackstand thingies under table make me think you can pivot the table right or left to maybe 30 degrees, then you lock both to hold it there. If it doesn’t have a powered up down table, one would be welcomed by the operator I’m sure.

Thanks, yes some possibilities there. If a replacement they did a great job matching the paint. Looking at that motor again, there’s a box under it that’s not under the others. Thinking the motor shaft might come out both ends and lower end of shaft might go into that box. Too bad all I have is a few photos and can’t go poke around it myself.

Or they repainted the whole machine. :scratchchin:

The two jackstand thingies under table make me think you can pivot the table right or left to maybe 30 degrees, then you lock both to hold it there.
It's not impossible, and a quick examination for a suitable pivot/circular bearing would answer the question. However, I have never seen or heard of any gang drill with such a table. If you needed angled holes, your toolmaker built the drill jigs with the required angles. Much easier to be accurate when making the jig (once) than horsing around with levels and jackstands (every time you want to run the job).

Last edited:
I thought you swore off HGR ?

As far as paint matching....that ain't original paint.

Used to be, during slow times, the worker would be handed
a brush and some paint. That paint job has all the marks of this.
Over here the sort of paint-job done by the sweeper-up or the tea-boy is called a Yard-Brush job!

48FCEDB2-BB6A-4097-9B56-8B44E9C818F7.jpg2FFD6985-4CAD-4BDE-982E-5F1975E00C2D.jpg
I thought you swore off HGR ?

As far as paint matching....that ain't original paint.

Used to be, during slow times, the worker would be handed
a brush and some paint. That paint job has all the marks of this.

Swore off what? No, I still patronize everyone who has useful stuff at decent prices. Since u mentioned them, here’s today’s catch, something I’d never even heard of, but as soon as I saw the pictures I knew I had to have it and hit the ‘ole buy button. They call it a contour grinder. I don’t think a week has gone by this year where I didn’t have a use for this thing, but wasted time using much more primitive freehand grinders.

A curved slot lets you tilt the grinding wheel off vertical, the large crank moves it axially, but I can’t tell what the small crank does from the photos.

Last edited:

Back