What's new
What's new

Purpose of vertical well or socket on Oliver die filer?

Cannonmn

Stainless
See empty socket in photo. I’ll probably use it for spare files since I don’t have whatever was there originally. I know the table bushing is missing too but I’ll make another in 10 min. Or so. The vert. Socket is a blind hole about 4” deep and maybe 2” dia., I didn’t measure. There’s a locating pin alongside the opening for whatever was there. There’s also a hex-bolt clamp ring to lock the mystery part in place. Motor is obviously a replacement but the thing runs well. Large knob under socket isn’t connected to it, it is for raising/lowering the file carrier chuck by hand.

153A3A57-5510-42F9-A49B-FEBF5B4E98BB.jpgB6A4270D-E991-432F-9088-CAFCFCEF6C81.jpg880AC80D-6326-43DD-B277-301CCDD8D87B.jpg

My Oliver of Adrian is a little different than yours, has a double grooved flywheel and belt running to a pulley on the motor. That hole on mine is used for the upper file support, maybe yours is missing or maybe the hole was for something else. I can only imagine that yours will run awful fast for filing running at the motor speed. Mine isn't near by to check but I imagine the speed is reduced at least 6-1 through the pulleys.
Dan

Greeings,

It's for the vertical post that supports the overarm file support.

FWIW,
Brian

Last edited:
My Oliver of Adrian is a little different than yours, has a double grooved flywheel and belt running to a pulley on the motor. That hole on mine is used for the upper file support, maybe yours is missing or maybe the hole was for something else. I can only imagine that yours will run awful fast for filing running at the motor speed. Mine isn't near by to check but I imagine the speed is reduced at least 6-1 through the pulleys. Dan. Quote]

Thanks, looking over the manual linked in a later post, Oliver made many different styles with either belt or gearbox drive (like mine.) The gearbox accomplishes the speed reduction you mention.

Last edited:

Back