What's new
What's new

Pushing on a press fit bearing

ostie01

Cast Iron
I had a job tonight to fit a bearing into a tube with a shaft inside the bearing.

Had to press both at the same time.

Should I push on the outside diameter or the inside diameter?

I went for the outside but is there a rule for that?

Jeff

I had a job tonight to fit a bearing into a tube with a shaft inside the bearing.

Had to press both at the same time.

Should I push on the outside diameter or the inside diameter?

I went for the outside but is there a rule for that?

Jeff

I find a flat washer that will span the inner and outer race, then use a pipe to press both at the same time.

I use a few specially machined steel bars bored to clear the shaft and with the O.D. to clear the tube that press the sides of the inner and outer races at the same time: seems to work fine.

I find a flat washer that will span the inner and outer race, then use a pipe to press both at the same time.

I have smashed a bearing shield doing something similar when the washer was allowed (by me) to slip off of one of the races (it wasn't perfectly sized).

If I do it again, I will take the time to turn a custom washer or pipe that is relieved for the bearing shield and sized so that it can't slip to the side/off of the bearing race.

If you applied the pressing force through the balls to the other race, You have ruined the bearing. Period. Full stop.
You always press on the ring that is the interference fit. If both bore and shaft were press then you need to press both simultaneously.

If you applied the pressing force through the balls to the other race, You have ruined the bearing. Period. Full stop.

Unless it was an angular contact bearing, and the force required to press in the bearing was less than the axial load rating, in which case it's not ideal, but is probably fine.

You always press on the ring that is the interference fit. If both bore and shaft were press then you need to press both simultaneously.

Yup.

Back