What's new
What's new

Quality Shop/Engine Hoists

Paul Cataldo

Stainless
I have been putting off an engine hoist purchase for years, and now when I finally go to purchase one, I find the model I had planned on buying for years, is no longer made.
For years, I had been looking at a unique "Arcan" brand engine hoist I had always planned to buy. It was unique, due to it's 2.5 or maybe it was a 3 ton rating? which was much higher than the standard 2 ton shop hoist rating, we see on literally every hoist made these days.
Does anyone know of this particular Arcan engine hoist I speak of? Does anyone here possibly know of a source for this Arcan Hoist? Some new old stock, OR a nice used one perhaps?

What other well made (preferably U.S. made?) engine hoists are out there? I might like one with the vertical foldable legs as well, which might even be considered a must at this point.
Does anyone here own a well made engine/shop hoist/cherry picker, which was made in the U.S. or somewhere other than China/Taiwan??
Thanks.

I have one of the imports. I have lifed a compressor over 1600# with it. Any of the hoist you get you want all of the caster to swivel so you don't have to pull the hoist back out just to move over 1 inch.

When I worked in a tool store a long time ago we sold one with a brand name of EXcabler (spelling) ant it was made in the USA but had a import jack.

Andrew

If you can find an American made hoist. It's going to be top dollar to buy it. Imports have had the market for a long time.

If you need one that needs to be stored, look for one that can break down completely. I've had this one for many years and it sits in a corner in my shed when not in use, very convenient.

Tom

album1040001.jpg

The biggest hassle with engine hoists is that you seem to need almost as much space as a crawler crane for them*...... if you don't have an open factory space, with skid + forktruck clearance aisles, forget it.

Of course nothing much else fits either..... unless you have an overhead crane. But those arms always get into trouble, especially when trying to reach into corners, where mills get put.... you maybe have to move whatever is next to it so you can get the hoist into place parallel to a wall.

We find it a lot easier to j7ust use the forktruck with a lifting sling arrangement in almost every case, and we have tried the engine hoist approach as well.... Even with plenty of space, we kept fouling the *&^%$ arms

* at least it seems like that as you move this to get at that to move the other thing....

Attachments

• hoist1.jpg
    hoist1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 20,567

Attachments

• Jack Crane.jpg
    Jack Crane.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 42,648
The one CRRMEYER shows is the VERY WORST TYPE..... I've used ones like that, or tried to......

look at those "arms" in front...... try to see getting close to anything with a largeish square base...... or setting it back down without landing on the ^%$! base arms.....

The one posted farther up takes more space, but the arms are way out to the sides.... a pain, but at least you can get them on the outside of the thing you are lifting......

Bluebird Engineering make a shop hoist as well. Looks very similar to the one pictured in 67Cuda's post. Disassembled, the parts fit vertically into a steel cart that comes with the hoist. Equipment rental yards often have them.

I've owned and used many different shop cranes over the years, and there's only one brand I would consider owning, and that's Ruger. Still made in USA, near Cleveland, they're the top of the line. Lifting stuff is a serious business, and I always got the heebie jeebies whenever I used those tinny imports that are built around a long bottle jack, even if I was only lifting something as light as a car engine (a car engine can put a pretty serious dent into your foot).

Ruger has models with adjustable legs, with extending booms, and counterweights that allow heavy lifting beyond the front wheels. They are SOLID and don't flex and sway under load. I've owned a three ton model for many years and have never had any concern with it whatsoever. It just does what it's supposed to do. I also have a tiny half-ton model that is absurdly handy around the shop. Recently I bought a two tonner to use at another location. These are serious machines that will do serious work. They're heavy and they are big (that's why they're so safe). But I find that they can usually be parked under or around something and don't really take up that much space.

Think of what you are lifting, what it's worth, and the bad things that can happen if something goes awry. Now, how much is that floor crane really worth? I admit I'm enthusiastic about products that are well-designed and ruggedly built, and that go the extra mile to assure top quality. I suggest you try various floor cranes under load to see what I mean.

I overloaded a hoist somewhat similar in design to the one that crrrmeyer listed. The failure mode was that the lower attachment bolts on both back stays failed/sheared rather abruptly.

Fortunately, the mill that was picking up with it was only just barely off the floor and landed upright with no damage.

I've owned and used many different shop cranes over the years, and there's only one brand I would consider owning, and that's Ruger. Still made in USA, near Cleveland, they're the top of the line. Lifting stuff is a serious business, and I always got the heebie jeebies whenever I used those tinny imports that are built around a long bottle jack, even if I was only lifting something as light as a car engine (a car engine can put a pretty serious dent into your foot).

Ruger has models with adjustable legs, with extending booms, and counterweights that allow heavy lifting beyond the front wheels. They are SOLID and don't flex and sway under load. I've owned a three ton model for many years and have never had any concern with it whatsoever. It just does what it's supposed to do. I also have a tiny half-ton model that is absurdly handy around the shop. Recently I bought a two tonner to use at another location. These are serious machines that will do serious work. They're heavy and they are big (that's why they're so safe). But I find that they can usually be parked under or around something and don't really take up that much space.

Think of what you are lifting, what it's worth, and the bad things that can happen if something goes awry. Now, how much is that floor crane really worth? I admit I'm enthusiastic about products that are well-designed and ruggedly built, and that go the extra mile to assure top quality. I suggest you try various floor cranes under load to see what I mean.

HI SA1000,
I've been looking at the Ruger cranes real hard, and I like the fact that they advertise they will modify their designs to fit the customers needs.
They offer a lot of models, and well built of course.
I'm scared to find the prices out though, but we'll see.

Anyhow, I am currently trying to find a model that fits the following requirements:

-Needs to fit through standard 3'0 doorway (meaning 35" is the opening, so 34.5" MAX width on the crane/hoist)

-Also meaning it must fit under standard 80" door height, so no more than 78" or 79" high.

I once had one of the older Harbor Freight (better made) hoists at my shop, which easily moved a BP mill, huge arbor press, and some other items into my shop, and the hoist fit right through my 3'0 doorway.
I recall the legs were just narrow enough to fit through the doorway, but they were also wide enough to straddle all the machines we moved.

I will have to see if Ruger can come up with a model that fits my requirements.

I must say, that I've also been looking at some of the models on this page as well: All American made quality (supposedely) Automotive shop engine cranes, engine hoist, truck engine lift

If anyone has experience with these hoists, such as American Forge and Foundry, or Ranger, or any of the others in this link, please chime in.
Thanks guys.

Not quite sure where the heck you would ever find one but I was rather impressed with this make when I used it once at a railroad museum I volunteered at.

STUFF050Medium.jpg

Adam

HI SA1000,
I've been looking at the Ruger cranes real hard, and I like the fact that they advertise they will modify their designs to fit the customers needs.
They offer a lot of models, and well built of course.
I'm scared to find the prices out though, but we'll see.

Anyhow, I am currently trying to find a model that fits the following requirements:

-Needs to fit through standard 3'0 doorway (meaning 35" is the opening, so 34.5" MAX width on the crane/hoist)

-Also meaning it must fit under standard 80" door height, so no more than 78" or 79" high.

This Stratton Hydro Crane would probably fit your dimensional requirements:

1216-stratton-hydro-crane-side-view.jpg

1217-stratton-hydro-crane-rear-view.jpg

The folding handle to move it with is nice.

Sorry for the cluttered pictures, this is kind of buried at the moment.

1218-stratton-hydro-crane-data-plate.jpg

I'm not sure what the rated capacity is. I'm also dubious that this company is still in business.

The straight legs and constant width footprint let it get in tight spaces but also means that it cannot span wide machines.

These were quality units, Boeing used to have a bunch of them and this was surplus from them at one point. BTW, Boeing uses a lot of Ruger hoists these days - or at least they show up occasionally as surplus.

I also have what I think is a bigger (much bigger) brother to this that I had purchased before I bought a forklift. It is partially taken apart to reduce storage space at the moment and I don't know if I have any pictures that show the entire unit.

Paul, don't fret over the fact that Arcan no longer makes shop cranes. Their primary expertise is in proving Made in USA can indeed be far inferior to Harbor Freight. If you're not familiar with Carolina bandsaws, google them to get a handle on their (lack of) quality. Arcan is the same bunch with a different name.

If you're not familiar with Carolina bandsaws, google them to get a handle on their (lack of) quality. Arcan is the same bunch with a different name.
Interesting. I wondered what happened to that bunch! Do they still build anything? Their site looks like all HF goods.

Back