What's new
What's new

Any tips for handling inserts and hardware ?

DDoug

Diamond
It seems the older I get, the smaller the inserts, their screws, and clamps get.

And the more hamfisted I am getting.....

Any tips to keep the hardware out of the sump ?

I don't have a serious answer but it seems if I tell myself you can drop this screw is usually when I do. It also seems to late at night when I want to go home.

I will be watching for some real solutions, maybe magnetic torx or Allen wrenches?

A rag to wipe oily hands and good magnetic drivers help even younger cack handed idiots such as my self! Nothing like thinking i must not drop this screw, about 3 secounds too late!

Above all if using a QCTP on a manual lathe changing them out of the machine on a clean bench with a lip also helps!

There is no feeling like dropping a $10 or more insert, chipbreaker, plus a thread wire, allen wrench, ect. in a pile of chips in the pan. I try to lay a shop rag or a piece or plywood across the ways

I usually change inserts over a clean bench, with a soft rag on it. Keeps them from bouncing.

While still in the machine, use a restaurant bus tub on the mills. Can't go far then. On the lathe, rags of a flat sheet of steel with rags on it.

It only took losing 1 insert to look for a better way.

Josh

I know this might sound dumb, but try not to worry that you'll drop stuff and it makes a difference. It's like if you think you're going to step up to bat and strike out, you're more likely to.

Also have a plan before you start. How are you going to handle the screw driver, what's going to happen when the screw gets loose, where are you going to set shit after you take it apart, where is stuff likely to fall, yadah yadah. Where can you rest your hands and arms to stabalize yourself? I know, sounds dumb, but it helps. Plan the whole thing out.

Keep extra insert screws and that type of thing around. If you know you have a back up, you won't worry as much.

And one last thing, avoid trying to catch tiny shit when it does fall. Pay attention and watch where it goes instead. Watch where it bounces. Don't panic when it's falling, watch it. When you go to find it , don't automatically assume its 4 miles away. Calmly look around where it probably landed. If you think it's lost forever your brain is more likely to not see it right in front of you.

In conclusion, take shit apart with confidence. Stay relaxed. Remember how basic and easy what you're doing really is. Make a plan of attack.

listen

John is right on with the watch and wait.
When I was younger I apprenticed with a jeweler who did a lot of diamond settings. You REALLY don't want to drop and lose diamonds. He tried to teach me to use my eyes and my ears. You can get a really good idea of where something went if you listen to it bounce. Not that it helps much in a pile of swarf or a noisy shop, but if things are quiet it makes a big difference.

Of course a simple lipped baking tray under the ways on top of the swarf pile can make big difference too.

Josh

I use those small SS bowls with a magnet on the bottom that Harbor fright sells .
it sort of magnetizes the screws which is not a real good thing , but at least I can find them .
Plus they are handy for tapping oil .
Just keep them away from your floppy discs !
FBBob

sticky wax, ask your dentist, look in the dental section of the grocery store, or a jewelry supply store...put it on the end of your torx driver and it'll hold the screw so you can't drop it.

I'd add to keep machines and floors clean. I'm a little selectivly OCD with our shop but I find it's easier to find 'the one that got away' when you're not feeling through dust, grime, and chips. Of course you can't do much about the chippan (the name says it all:rolleyes5:), but keeping the levels low does help.

I find it a disturbingly odd feeling of elation and anger when I find parts and stuff on the floor. Part of me thinks "great I found it!" the other part thinks "..... after I had to hunt down/machine a replacement":angry:.

Back