What's new
What's new

Question about machining Nichroloy

gear cutter

Cast Iron
Has anyone worked with Nichroloy? If so, what can you tell me about it. How does it machine? Will I need to get special tooling? I have never worked with it and I do not want to learn anything about it the hard way right now if I can avoid it. The job in question is machining a 12' shaft 4.5" O.D. A 2.999 journal on each end and turn one end to 3.875 O.D. 90" in length. Two keyways, one at each end.

Just looked it up and found three varieties:
Ni Cr Fe Mn
75 16 8 3
40 7 50 3
23 20 50 1

You may have something in between and it seems to be difficult to find out exactly what Baldwin is putting in it (if you got it from them). They seem to be a bit obtuse about revealing composition.

Would say it surely depends on which one you have. My reference says the cast variety is the third one.

Rich

Just looked it up and found three varieties:
Ni Cr Fe Mn
75 16 8 3
40 7 50 3
23 20 50 1

You may have something in between and it seems to be difficult to find out exactly what Baldwin is putting in it (if you got it from them). They seem to be a bit obtuse about revealing composition.

Would say it surely depends on which one you have. My reference says the cast variety is the third one.

Rich

None of those are going to be fun.... especially that first one.

At least you haven't got to tap it.

Is there any chance of getting hold of a small piece to play around with?

Lol you'll be right. Someone would make specific tooling if you dug deep enough. A challenge is always good fun, I usually flip out when I get these jobs and then once I'm finished I wonder why I was ever worried lol.

The following is copied from Baldwin's website:

"The Accurloy/Nichroloy
product group is a derivative
of the filed–proven
base metals of the 41XX
and the 43XX series of
ultra–high strength alloys."

That doesn't sound anything like the compositions that Rich L posted. Baldwin's description suggests it will turn like 4130 PHT.

The following is copied from Baldwin's website:

"The Accurloy/Nichroloy
product group is a derivative
of the filed–proven
base metals of the 41XX
and the 43XX series of
ultra–high strength alloys."

That doesn't sound anything like the compositions that Rich L posted. Baldwin's description suggests it will turn like 4130 PHT.

I agree it doesn't sound like the stuff I found however "Ni -- chro -- loy" screams Nickel and Chromium. 41xx and 43xx are lightweights in Ni and Cr. I don't know, ... sales pitch by Baldwin?? Easy turning, no worries. :)

Cheers,
Rich

Back