What's new
What's new

what to look for inspecting used aloris wedge-type?

mark thomas

Titanium
Title pretty much says it... I'm going to look at some used stuff. Anything in particular I should look for, other than obvious abuse, etc?

What to look for inspecting used aloris wedge-type?

Mark, a while back I bought what appeared to be a perfectly fine Aloris AXA tool post on flea bay. When it arrived and I installed it on my lathe the tool holders wouldn't lock down. Turns out somebody had shaved enough off the bottom that the wedges couldn't make full movement to lock. I could have overcome the problem with some creative shimming, but it was supposed to be working as received. I guess the moral is to look for any signs of alterations, perhaps made for some good reason, but which will render the post unusable for your application.

Froggie

There has been some slight variation of the Aloris tool holder dimensions, Not every tool holder will fit every tool post.
Aloris has corrected tool holders for me in the past.
It seems that the variation is in the tool holder, not the tool post.

Mark, a while back I bought what appeared to be a perfectly fine Aloris AXA tool post on flea bay. When it arrived and I installed it on my lathe the tool holders wouldn't lock down. Turns out somebody had shaved enough off the bottom that the wedges couldn't make full movement to lock. I could have overcome the problem with some creative shimming, but it was supposed to be working as received. I guess the moral is to look for any signs of alterations, perhaps made for some good reason, but which will render the post unusable for your application.

Froggie

Are you sure you didn't have some BXA holders?

Clutch

Back