What's new
What's new

Quick change coolant nozzles for Multifix

adamm

Cast Iron
Is anyone aware of a quick change coolant nozzle system for use with a Multifix?

I have a Multifix tool post on a flat bed CNC lathe. It takes me just as long to adjust the Loc-line as it does to swap tools. It would be nice if there was a coolant option that would mount the nozzle on the tool holder, and a quick connector to hook it up during the tool change. If it helps, I only use the "0" and "90 degrees" positions.

I haven't found anything while googling around the internet.

MMMM? I know what you mean, but for an off the shelf solution, the best I can come up with is use 2 loclines, (1 in each position) and a changeover valve - which I'm sure they do.

Steel brake line tubing, permanently fastened to each tool holder, bend as needed.

Braze a standard air hose "milton"
quick coupler male fitting on the end.

Yes, it's a two step process, to have to apply the coolant hose
to the coupler, but it would be faster than the present.

Or just do like the multi spindle automatic machines do.
A "log manifold" for coolant, and several nozzles all at full blast.

I currently have a Milton quick connect set up with a ball valve on it to feed a couple of coolant through drills. It's OK for a couple of drills, but would get to be a lot of tubing draped around the lathe if all the tool had it. Though, in that set up, the tube was attached to the tool block, and the quick connect was rigid to the lathe slide. It would be cleaner if I put the quick connect stub directly on the tools, and put the female coupler on the hose end. That's a good idea.

I also like the stationary idea. If I put a Locline block with 2 or 3 tubes, that would probably cover much of the application. It would also be better for the drills as I could keep the stream pointed at the hole, and not have the stream move with the slide as the drill advances.

Back