What's new
What's new

Looking for A572 Grade 60 Round Bar

cash

Titanium
We have been searching for A572 Grade 60 round bar for some time now. Our part finishes at 5.125 diameter x 5.500 long. We need to make at least 12 pcs so I will just buy a bar of it.

We MUST use this grade, it is for a powerplant application so no substitues may be used.

Could anybody point me in the direction as to who would have this material here in the U.S.

We have given up here in the U.S. and are now searching Europe and plan to have material airfreighted in if we can not find here.

But I would like to support a U.S. supplier if possible.

I've never seen A572-60 in bar. There's places that claim they have it, but don't hold your breath.

You'd have to check with a metals guy, but IIRC, if you'd heat it up enough to torch it out of plate, it would no longer be Grade 60. Most of our stuff is Grade 42, but we have had fabricated parts that require a heat treat afterwards.

If all else fails, buy a length of 6" thick plate and water jet.
Saw off squares from plate,
or rough the parts from Grade 42 and heat treat. I think it's like 1650 with an oil quench.
JR

Thanks for the replies. We have looked into buying plate but the thickest we have found grade 60 is like 3".

We have talked to a couple forging houses to see what they come up with.

Price is not really an issue here. There have been other times when parts have been needed so bad while building the plant that one of the suppliers has bought first class tickets so a person could be sent over with a suitcase full of parts!!

I've gotten quote requests for round parts made from this material also. From what I was able to gather, this grade of material is normally only made in flat sheets/plates (it is used in making boilers). Never found a way to get it done at any kind of reasonable cost. Most likely it was mis-spec'd by someone who doesn't know their materials very well.

Most likely it was mis-spec'd by someone who doesn't know their materials very well.

I'd say that covers it pretty well. As I understand it, the HSLA steels are strengthened by cooling at a controlled rate rather than by a standard quench and temper operation. Because they don't have the necessary elements like nickel to promote deep hardenability, the max strength is going to be dependent on the thickness since there's a limit on how fast a plate can be cooled that's more dependent on thickness than any other factor.

If the person who's doing the spec doesn't do his research on what's available, its easy for them to look up A572 and see Gr 42, 50, 60, and 65, and just pick a strength number with no regard to what's really available in the market. In reality, once you go higher than Gr 50, the pickins get slim real fast.

OTOH, it could have been specified by somebody who knew exactly what he was doing. The customer demanded prints for all the parts. Its not a problem, the original manufacturer knows getting the parts made will be impossible. They probably had drops of the material to cut for blanks. And I expect availability is good for 100,000 pound orders with 30 week lead times.

I have a friend currently having the same problems with A517 Grades E and F.

They knew what they were doing. Grade 60 holds it's strength at a slightly higher temp. We run into the same thing with designers like Black & Veech going from P-91 to P-92. Both are 9 chrome, 2 moly, but P-92 has 1% tungston. Welding is a huge problem.

The reasoning, it gives a power plant another 100 C on there operating temp which amounts to about a 1% increase in effiency. Over the life of a power plant, that's a lot of bucks.
JR

A572 is a structural steel, not a high-temperature steel. It isn't specified for high temperature work.

If the maximum section of the parts is small enough (2-3"), it should be able to achieve grade 60 with a final heat treat. Then, sourcing the material is not a problem, just start with grade 42. If the part sections are too large, it can't be made by anyone.

Back