What's new
What's new

Quincy 325-4 air compressor

Railguy

Plastic
New member here.
I recently bought a Quincy 325-4. It has a lot more parts missing than I thought ,pretty much everything in / on the head I was hoping someone knew of a junk one I could get parts off of. I guess any 325 head would work??? Possibly other models ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks railguy

So what you really have is a "donor carcass" of a good block and crank for whatever you find ?

Can't say I know of any specific boneyards, your location is vague, I would suggest HGR.

No its pretty much all there except for the inner working of the head. By head I mean the part goes on top of cylinder .

No its pretty much all there except for the inner working of the head. By head I mean the part goes on top of cylinder .

I have that same compressor, only in the 2 cylinder model sir.

Most all the money is in the head.

No... not all Quincy 325 are the same. The most important number is the ROC (revision of change). Is your really ROC 4? If so that's one of the very very early models. By 1950 they were up to to ROC 9. I'd be checking the lower end and oil pump before putting any money into the head. If you do decide to rebuild it, there are several variations on any model depending on whether you use unloaders on H and/or L cylinders and the control system.

Parts manuals: http://www.revbase.com/TagTeam/Clie...&gjt2=&ogjt=&sortbyold=0&sortOrderold=PubDate

Tag says 325 4 i only paid $250 for it,figured I couldn't go wrong. Cylinders look good like they had recently been honed.

I think so, I have 1 unloader valve and 2 of the " caps" that go over the valves. I'd post a pic if I knew how.
Railguy

Your profile says you are in Pennsylvania. It should be easy to find a 325 series Quincy in good working order at a shop closure auction. I frequently see them go for dirt cheap, sometimes not even getting bids.

Another consideration is the risk of internal corrosion if the compressor sits unused for a period of time. The air in the cylinder and head is typically moist and condenses when the compressor cools. IIRC, properly sized installations don't allow the compressor to cool between cycles, so that condensation is less of an issue.

Quincy's are said to be frugal on oil consumption, that means the head doesn't have a bunch of excess oil up there. Proper storage of the compressor means oiling the head minimally and potentially some effort to get the water out of there first.

Find your local Quincy service center. They are by far the most likely to have a boneyard you can pick through.

On the crankcase of the air pump is a nameplate which the first field will say 325. Please take a fine detail picture of that nameplate and post it. The second number is the record of change that lakeside53 was talking about. That number means absolutely everything. You must find that ROC number.

metalmagpie

Yep. ROC 4. Ancient, like WW2. Best you talk to your local Quincy dealer about what fits from later models. Definitely check out the parts books I linked.

Crank it up and check the oil pressure (you do not need the head on to do that). I don't think you can get parts for the old vane oil pumps any more.

Back