What's new
What's new

Quincy Compressor Paint Color

FTF Engineering

Hot Rolled
I've seen Quincy compressors in two colors, 1) a light creamish color with a faint hints of green, or 2) a deep blue similar to Miller welder stuff. Was that an option when you bought the compressor or is that some sort of chronological indication? By that, I mean, can I glean any date of manufacture info by the color? Was there some time period when they switched from the cream to the blue? Is it as simple as the cream ones are older and the blue ones newer?

The creamish looks like this (except for the blue unloader):
IMG_5938.jpg

A here's the blue:
DSCN2146.jpg

And here's one that appears to have started with the creamish color and got repainted blue:
DSCN3340.jpg

Is this an age indicator, a factory option, or something else?

mine is blue, made in the 80's. Aluminum serial number plate held on by double stick tape. I repainted it with tractor supply paint ford ,might have been new Holland, blue. Perfect match.
I think the cream is much older, at least 60's
Bill D.

To me, it seems like it might be date related, but I can't be sure.

There's pretty much a forum for just about everything these days... Is there an old air compressor forum?

Shawn, Do you think that 230 was yellow from the factory, or was that a previous owner modification? It looks like there might be some blue peeking out in the belt grooves on the flywheel.

Two data points. I have a Quincy 308 - early 1970's according to the parts list I have - It's blue. And I have an old 2-stage of about the size. It's old enough to have been fitted with a flat belt pulley. It's yellow...

It's age. If you look at the plate on the crankcase of your Quincy pump you will see two numbers. One is the model number; the second is "record of change". Example: 325 27 means model 325 pump, record of change 27. I owned a 5hp 2-stage Quincy compressor for years. It had a model 325 air pump, record of change 16. I did some work on it, and when I'd go to my local Quincy service center to buy parts, the old guys there would groan and wag their heads at the ancient record of change number dating from the 1960s. But they still had parts! Anyway, Quincy guys can go from ROC numbers to production dates. And machines dating from the '60s and '70s were green and later were blue.

The pump shown above looks like a model 325 to me, except its unloader valves are unplumbed. There are supposed to be fittings and 1/4" copper tube going up from the oil pump. My guess is that that pump was rebuilt. There are various configurations of unloaders (see the manuals, all of which are downloadable from the Quincy site) and obviously they didn't know what configuration the buyer of the rebuilt pump would need so they didn't do anything. But the ports on the unloaders should be capped off to prevent corrosion inside the intake valves.

metalmagpie

Those pics aren't my stuff. I found those shots in some of the other threads on the forum here. They're just color examples. Here's the threads in which those pics were originally used:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/quincy-325-compressor-help-233873/
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/quincey-216-rebuild-qs-210374/
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ncy-325-got-some-questions-232293/index2.html

I've currently got a blue 325 ROC 18 and a cream colored 310 ROC 26. I've looked through the literature available at Quincy's website and have downloaded the parts books for each.

The blue unit above is MINE :) and it's from 1999. I had a 216 from the early 80's at was factory painted with a "gold" color.

Nice plumbing job, Lakeside. Both air and electrical.

I've never seen an oil filter on a Quincy. Is that a "Lakeside special" or a factory feature?

neil

The blue unit above is MINE :) and it's from 1999.

And I still think it's a beauty! Thanks again for posting that pic.

I haven't called Quncy to ask for more detail about mine, but from the dates on the different parts books for the respective ROC's I believe both my 325 and my 310 are from the mid seventies to early eighties. Seems they were from right around the threshold from creamish to blue. (And yes, the cream looks a little gold in some lights. I believe we're talking about the same color there.)

Nice plumbing job, Lakeside. Both air and electrical.

I've never seen an oil filter on a Quincy. Is that a "Lakeside special" or a factory feature?

neil

The QR series Quincy's have been built with pump mounted oil filters for a couple decades now.

I just got a trailer mounted, engine driven 325 ROC-10 that was sitting on top of dump trailer on its way to the scrap yard. I almost had to throw myself in front of the truck, but it's now in my shop. Changed the oil in the engine, checked the oil in the pump, hooked up a battery and it runs perfectly! So now the task is converting it to 5hp electric. It's got the dual unloaders for continuous operation with the 9hp Wisconsin. Re: the paint color. Under the peeling red paint that's on the whole unit, it's blue. ROC-10 is a 1963 machine according to the Quincy tech.

Hi, Tim here. I live an hr. from the factory(Quincy, Illinois). My mentor purchased his (now mine) new in Dec. 1964. It has had a gentle life as we only run it 6-7 days a month for the air bearing work( tool and cutter grinding shop). Ours' is the aqua marine blue. Have a great day.

Back