What's new
What's new

Cleaning Oilstone

I think you also have to put some solvent on the plate such as diesel fuel, paint thinner, honing oil, etc. I'm not sure which would be best.

Maybe the woodworkers among us should chime in as they use stones frequently. I have been told that concrete bricks are great for flattening and cleaning stones and I heard that some woodcarvers get their stones trued up by using a potters wheel.

Ive used scouring powder mixed with dish soap and warm water to rinse the scouring powder breaks up any glazing and the soap gets rid of grease and oil.

I just rub it by hand works fine.

James

I'm with traytop, but instead of using cast iron lapping plate, I reach for a scrap of plate glass. I like 80 grit silicon carbide grains and kerosene, but I've also found that almost any regular coarse sandpaper can work, lubricated with mineral spirits or kero, laid on any flat surface.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
FRETS.COM
Gryphon Stringed Instruments
My Home Shop Pages

[ 10-24-2007, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Frank Ford ]

I use a coarse diamond bench stong and plenty of soapy water. Flattens them right up. I use an alternating 30 degree stroke to ensure a little tooth when I'm done.

I use that diamond stone for no other purpose but dressing bench and slip stones and keeping then flat and clean. When it gets tired I replace it with new and use the old stone for rough work.

For cleaning only I use soap and water if they aren't very dirty. Stones are much easier to maintain if you do it on a regular basis.

If they are really caked up I'll try my Gesswein stone cleaner.

Anything worse I'll redress. I have a few old grinding wheels from 100-220 grit that I have saved over the years. I bust off about a 1/2" cube and tap it with a hammer on a steel plate. Once it is down to a little bigger than a salt grain, I lap the stone in a figure 8.

After lapping, clean with soap, stone cleaner, degreaser, or whatever you prefer. Just be sure to wash things out of the stone. Never blow it off with an air gun. You'll only drive crap deeper into the stone.

I use stones almost every day I am in the shop. I keep them soaking in ATF and lubricate frequently with more ATF. I clean everything with spray brake parts cleaner. If a stone is really loaded up, I soak in kerosene or mineral spirits

Diamond hones make the flat one flat again.

A few hours in an ultrasonic cleaner with a commercial grade detergent will make them look like new.

I also use a diamond stone like Forrest. I also use the diamond stone under a faucet to take the "fuzzy" areas off of brand new white (fine) ceramic stones. The ceramic stones are so hard that the fuzz might be a bear to get off any other way. Leaves them very smooth and able to make a razor sharp finish on a blade.

I sort of collect likely fleamarket stones. Many are quite dished out. I grind the synthectic (man made)and soft natural stones on a surface grinder with a green wheel. (flood or heavy mist coolant) Grind the hard natural stones with a diamond wheel. For occasional "touch up" I use a wet area of the rough concrete patio, or the side of a cement block.

smt

don't forget that they are supposed to have oil on them to work properly, hence the name...

when they glaze over, the only way to fix that is to re-dress them, rubbing them on something harder than they are, and preferrably flat. for wood working (flat blade chisels, hand planer blades, etc.), I prefer water stones, but most metal working applications where you have a smaller contact area the oil stones do the job a bit better, since they are harder and don't get out of flat so quickly. Diamond stones or the new ceramic ones would be nice for that too, but you can't beat the price on an oil stone.

Back