What's new
What's new

Radial drill gear box oil type

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Recommended is either Esso Teresso 43 or Daphine Mechanic Oil 44. Both seem to be ISO 32 (so why are they labeled 43 and 44?..beats me)

Do you think Mobil DTE Light would be equivalent ?

JR, the machine manual has a chart and ISO 32 is in the same horizontal column as the two oils I mentioned, so I presume they are ISO 32.

Being a radial drill and used so sporatically, with most gears turning relatively slow, I doubt it's real critical to get the viscosity "exact" anyway.

We just bought a big-ol Carlton to replace one of ours that's worn out. Jeez, you'd think they'd build em better than that. A 1967 that's been running 3 shifts and needs the head rebuilt!

The one we found is a 6 MT with a 40 hp motor. 19" column and 6' arm. That thing has a 1200 RPM speed on it!

Anyway, back to your oil. That old European stuff is real hard to cross. Some of the descriptions (if I can find them) are very ambiguous. Many of these ask for a either a high or low temp application. That's why I brought up the ISO-22. That tells me that the oils that they were specing were not stabilized so I'm guessing the drills that this goes in is pre-1960.
JR

Seeing as Esso and Daphine are Euro oils, I don't see what difference the origin of the machine makes.

That vintage European Esso lube would have been Teresstic 33 (ISO-32). I've run into this other times on Taiwanese machines. I think that Shell and Esso were offering lubes over there that were not offered in Europe or the USA.

Shell oils are terrible to convert. You almost need to know what the application is. Some of the Tellus and Tona designations are the worst. For example; Tellus W 1025 in Europe is Tellus T 32 (ISO-32 low temp stabilized high shear resistant, also called high VI) in the USA. Most places don't even list it in their books. We've got 2 Dores-Scharmans that use it.
JR

Back