What's new
What's new

Rapid injection molders that are actually any good?

Comatose

Titanium
I really need to find a reliable prototype injection molder.

I just lost a month and $17,000 on Xcentric Mold. Without getting into it, not going to ever deal with those chuckleheads again. Can't even produce geometrically correct parts, let alone to tolerance, and want me to pay them to fix errors they admit are in their mold. Well, a bit broke, but these things happen... Um yeah no kidding these things happen, that's why you notice, change the bit and keep working rather than just hoping the customer won't mind a part with holes in it. Then we'll promise a fix in a month, on an original three week turn. Seriously. I've never walked away from a supplier rather than trying to resolve such easy issues before, but not having to deal with these clowns again is worth the price of a car to me, so I'm starting over.

Proto labs are fast and okay for what they are, but they're slaves to their software. If it says they can do something, they'll do it. If it says they can't, they wont. Even super obvious, easy things.

I really do need molded parts and I really do need them in a week or three per design revision. Somebody in this space has to be competent. Prefer domestic, but will go overseas if there's really nobody left. 3d printing isn't an option and the part geometries don't lend themselves well to machined prototypes.

Plenty of guys here and there can do full spec steel molds well, but I need maybe 100 of a part per design cycle, with 5-6 design cycles between first protos and production.

Anybody used someone of this type (other than proto labs, who I respect but don't work for me on this one) they can recommend?

Thanks!

We could certainly make the molds for you, however 1 week lead time is not much an option for us, just getting the material would take longer than that, unless a shop has stock laying around for such an occasion, your options are limited, these must be very simple parts? Just curious, if it's a short run, why can't these be printed? In any case, I hear good things about these guys.

http://www.midwestcomposite.com/

The rapid guys use insert molds and have all the stuff on site before orders come in. They're all straight pull single cavity parts without slides, so simple in that regard. My geometries tend to be on the small side, everything fits inside a one inch cube. The rapid guys run uncooled aluminum molds (or cooler in the base below the insert) so cycle times are long, but making 25 or 100 that matters less.

These can't be printed because the material is what matters and I don't know of any 3d printer that can print in high temperature engineering plastics (ultem, peek, radel, that sort of thing.)

I'll check out Midwest composites. Thanks!

Unfortunately it looks like the ultem filament 3d printers will only go down to about a .040 wall and I'm sitting more like .030, so that's less hopeful than it looked. Hate to have to redesign my prototypes to work within the DFM rules of a process I won't be using for production.

So I'm back to looking for the right rapid prototype injection molder.

I just lost a month and $17,000 on Xcentric Mold. Without getting into it, not going to ever deal with those chuckleheads again. Can't even produce geometrically correct parts, let alone to tolerance, and want me to pay them to fix errors they admit are in their mold. Well, a bit broke, but these things happen... Um yeah no kidding these things happen, that's why you notice, change the bit and keep working rather than just hoping the customer won't mind a part with holes in it. Then we'll promise a fix in a month, on an original three week turn. Seriously. I've never walked away from a supplier rather than trying to resolve such easy issues before, but not having to deal with these clowns again is worth the price of a car to me, so I'm starting over.

Proto labs are fast and okay for what they are, but they're slaves to their software. If it says they can do something, they'll do it. If it says they can't, they wont. Even super obvious, easy things.

I really do need molded parts and I really do need them in a week or three per design revision. Somebody in this space has to be competent. Prefer domestic, but will go overseas if there's really nobody left. 3d printing isn't an option and the part geometries don't lend themselves well to machined prototypes.

Plenty of guys here and there can do full spec steel molds well, but I need maybe 100 of a part per design cycle, with 5-6 design cycles between first protos and production.

Anybody used someone of this type (other than proto labs, who I respect but don't work for me on this one) they can recommend?

Thanks!

Try Dynamic Prototype Operations in Auburn Hills. I've only dealt with their machine work, but it has all been very good. I've had them make me parts with several inch features holding a tenth on a couple occasions. I would be very clear up front about your timing requirements.

Edit: For that sort of money unless this is particularly complex or large I would think you could go with a full supplier on expedited timing. I know a couple, but I don't think they would be willing to do short lead time things unless it will lead to production.

...Proto labs are fast and okay for what they are, but they're slaves to their software. If it says they can do something, they'll do it. If it says they can't, they wont. Even super obvious, easy things.... I really do need molded parts and I really do need them in a week or three per design revision.

Based on your desired completed mold timing and if your part is small enough, Protolabs is one of the few players in the niche. A little over a year ago I had an injection molded part quoted by Protolabs and a local prototype house. Protolabs was 3wks and $23K. The local prototype house quoted 6 wks and 40K. I completely understand the frustration dealing with their mold design review software. It took about 7 design days of revising the design, submitting to Protolabs, reviewing their issues, revising the design, repeat, repeat.... Their review process appears to be like peeling an onion - there is always another layer (of issues) underneath. We rarely address the issues raised and not have a new set of issues when resubmitting. It helps if you have an account mgr at Protolabs - a human that you can call, or e-mail. There is a certain amount of hand waiving that they can do and in some instances of teleconferences w/ the account mgr and the tooling egr, we were able to agree to let them revise a local surface (not critical to me) and proceed w/ making the part orderable. One thing to be aware of is that their tooling is aluminum and they do not weld on a tool or insert a pocket to add material. If your design change is to add (matl) to your part they will do a mold mod. If you don't mind your design being touched by a 3rd party, it is my understanding that Protolabs has a/some design egr services that they can recommend that will "correct" your design to make it moldable to their process - I have never used an outside service. More recently I had a similar part, complex w/ lots of ribs / features, it took us 3wks of noodling the part to get it thru the Protolabs process.

Yes, but in my case protolabs and I are at an impasse. I need EDMed energy directors for ultrasonic welding. I need then to be .012" tall. This is not massagable, fixable or negotiable. They "need" them to be .020 tall and wide. There's no technical reason for this at all, other than their software rejects the feature and they can't waive it.

Been through this round and round with my account manager and up the chain. I like them, they usually provide the service I need at the times and quality I expect for this part of the process. But they won't do these.

In the past, I've used a company called "quick parts" successfully (the part had manually removed inserts for some somewhat complex undercut geometry.

Seems like they don't exist as "quick parts" anymore, but google gives a bunch of results for both xcentric and 3d systems.

I was involved with getting quotes for some small prototype parts recently. Our customer had a very nice detailed print, with all dimensions, tolerances, etc. I work to similar drawings on a daily basis. None of the prototype houses would even look at a drawing... No solid model, no quote...

Back