What's new
What's new

Safety Glasses

I prefer Uvex for the most part, they are the only ones that I have had the opportunity to use that have enough adjustment to fit comfortably. As far as what model, they are going to be a bit like finding shoes that fit, you will just have to try them on and see what you think.

My favorites are old American Opticals with side shields. Tempered glass I guess (I hope). I figure anything that'll make it through them would make it through polycarbonate, and they are hard to mix up with all the other guy's Uvexs in the shop.

I use Uvex spitfire both clear and smoked, they fit my fat little face perfect don't even know I have them on. I found a good sale on them 6 or 8 years ago bought 40 pairs

Sorry DFW,
Uvex is no longer. My sister worked for them, and now they are Sperian.
They still have the same safety protection items, just under a new name. Actually Uvex was gone before this, as Bacou-Dalloz took over, and now Sperian.
I like all of their stuff, but I get care packages sometimes with great stuff in them. (Not as much as when it was Uvex, though)
David from jax

http://www.sperianprotection.com/us/index.asp

Bummer, it's been a while since I bought any safety glasses, last time I found a model I liked, I bought 14 sets. I still have a few new ones left.

Nuvo™ Reader's available from ENCO. I'm addicted to them as they have built-in +2 reading glasses. At less than $12 they are one of my most improtant tools.

I have 20/15 vision, which means I can see stuff at 20 feet that you have to bring in to 15 feet to see, but I still need reading glasses. Reading glasses don't always mean your going blind, just that your arms aren't long enough.
David from jax

As far as the "Care Packages", they are gifts from sis of excess stuff she has lying around, or stuff they were fixing to throw out.(salesman giveaways from a show or something)
I heard they were fixing to come out with a Harley welding shield, so I put my order in for one. Hope it is auto darkening. I got to quit giving away those, as I am down to just a couple in the garage.
David from jax

Limited,

Find a Fastenal or some other industrial supply house that caters to contractors. The Fastenal near me has a display stand with all their safety glasses arranged so you can try them on. There is usually a mirror so you can admire the cut of your own trousers while trying the safety glasses on. Most industrial supply houses I have ever seen have some way you can try their safety glasses on (and even some of the better hardware stores) because the people they cater to will be wearing their products 8+ hours a day, 5+ days a week.

-DU-

I need some magnification when working in the shop. There are 2 types of safety glasses that I know of that incorporate magnification. The first is the bifocal type including the models that have a small magnifying inset in the lower corner of each lens. This type drives me nuts and I can't use them. The second type has full magnifying lenses, and can be had in varying diopters. I use 2X. They are clear plastic (polycarbonate?) and have side shields. They are sold for about $15/pr from jewelers' suppliers like A. Cohen in Boston. A very good item, in my view.
Sorry for that one.

I need to wear safety glasses at certain customers, so its eight to ten hours two to three days per week. I tried a bunch of them at all diferent price levels. I found these the best for me so far. I also added a neck strap so if I take them off they dont get put down and lost. I have used them riding the motorcycle and the do keep a lot of the wind out of your eyes as well. Also I will only wear clear indoors, any tint and I cant see anything, and the other colors distort light to much for me.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3WE53

safety glasses

Any safety glasses are better than none. Also be aware that although the manufacturers won't mention it to you, chlorinated hydrocarbons in some degreasers and brake cleaners will weaken and embrittle polycarbonates almost instantly, to the point where you can break the lens with your hands.
I really like wearing the yellow glasses, they make it seem like the sun is shining in the shop, but everything looks so depressing when you take them off.
lwbates

I'm not real picky as long as they aren't those all clear plastic high school physics class glasses. However, the neck strap is critical for me. The glasses last so much longer when you don't lay them down. Also easer to hang on a nail or hook w/o falling.

You know they are comfortable when you catch your elf still wearing them at lunch. I'm that way with Uvexs (which I bought from mcmaster within the past 2 years.) If I were to pay attention and stick to one style, it is possable to get replacement lenses for 60-70% of the cost of the glasses.

Back