What's new
What's new

Re-visiting "Mill vs. Drill/Mill" - What is the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossMarsden

Plastic
There is a closed thread about this (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/mill-vs-mill-drill-251904/).
The original poster, kd0afk, asks (in part), "I am soon going to be looking to buy a mill. What is the major differences between a mill and a mill/drill combination?"
However no one actually answers that question explicitly.

So to clarify, a "mill" is a machine like the Bridgeport where the head is fixed, and the table in the z-axis up to the tool. The table has x and y movement as well, and powered, too.

A drill/mill is a machine like these two:
M153 | SIEG X3 Mill Drill - Geared Head + Variable Speed | For Sale East Tamaki - Auckland | Buy Workshop Equipment & Machinery online at machineryhouse.co.nz
M65 | BF-2LV Mill Drill - Geared & Tilting Head | For Sale East Tamaki - Auckland | Buy Workshop Equipment & Machinery online at machineryhouse.co.nz
where the head and tool move in the z-axis down to the work by a quill arrangement (and the head is on a rigid ways), and the table only has x and y-axes.
All movements are carried out manually (unless augmented with and after-market CNC kit).

In that other thread, there is mention of drill/mills with the head apparently on a vertical tube, rather than a ways.

So does the above properly describe the mill vs drill/mill difference?

I am thinking of acquiring a drill/mill for my home workshop. I already have a drill press and a small lathe, and I want to be able to mill as well.

Cheers,
RM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back