What's new
What's new

Half round files

rb1

Cast Iron
Half round files

I would like to get half round files to fit a particular radius. Say a .6875 radius half round file, single cut.

Perhaps I am using the wrong terms or not searching the right places,

cheers and as always, thanks very much!

I have never seen a file catalog that gives the radius of their half-round files. You might have to make a radius gage and take it to your local like store.

Perhaps you might like to learn the fine art of file making. There was a thread here on the subject a while back, with YouTube video of file makers at work.

Larry

Half round files

I would like to get half round files to fit a particular radius. Say a .6875 radius half round file, single cut.

Perhaps I am using the wrong terms or not searching the right places,

cheers and as always, thanks very much!

I think you would be very lucky to find a file with exactly the radius you want. In any case you can't expect to use such a file to create a radius of exactly that amount in your work. That just isn't the way that files work or the way that they are used. You can however file a radius of 0.687 provided that your file has a radius of less than that, but accuracy depends entirely on you.

Maybe it would help if you give us some more details about what you want to do?

You cannot create a radius with a file of that radius.

To file a radius you need a file with a smaller curvature than the radius you desire. You also need a gauge with the desired radius.

Filing the radius involves matching your gauge to the work, then filing away the high spots.

Vallorbe has over 4000 varieties of files in their standard catalog.
http://www.vallorbe.com/Download.php?f=documents/Catalogue_precision_gb.pdf

They list the the tolerances of manufacture in the frontespeice of their catalog.

For all the files, it is important to take into account the following tolerances: (mm)
Round shapes
Ø ............... Tol.
≤3 ............... + 0.15 / – 0.1
> 3...6 ............... + 0.2 / – 0.1
> 15 ................ + 0.3 / – 0.7

For 4 decimals in inches, you might be in custom broach territory. :)

Thanks so far fellas, I just want to tweak on a .200 long section of 1.375 ID aluminum tube, to oval it out a bit... nothing too exacting.

Keep any ideas coming... listing my desired radius at 4 decimal places is misleading to how accurate I really need to be... When I get back to the shop I will take my radius gauge to whatever half round files I have and see where I am at.

i would apreciate a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XBmJrhoK1g

I will give you the first link Google found for "metal file making video." It turned out to show French wood rasps and rifflers being made, but it was 10 minutes well spent. I had not seen this video before. There are others that show metal files being made by hand. You can find them if you look.

Take a video tour of the Auriou hand-stitched rasp factory

Great lot of info on file making here.

http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/matshef/unwin/MSfilecutter.htm

And here is a picture of my file-maker's chisel. Next time you look at a file, think of how many hammer blows were used to make it. I will mention that flat files are very easy to make by machine. DaVinci designed such a machine.

Larry

File Cutting Chisel 2.jpg

Back