Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By bhigdog

Thread: Reasonable cost of Mineral Spirits

  1. #1
    aerodark's Avatar
    aerodark is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kirkland, WA USA
    Posts
    2,306

    Default Reasonable cost of Mineral Spirits

    Yesterday I was hell-bent on finding a five gallon can of mineral spirits for general cleaning and stone bath. I called Sherwin Williams and got a price of 20 bucks. I thought I won the lottery and raced down there just to find that the kid who quoted me the price on the phone "meant to say" 20 bucks PER GALLON!

    Needless to say, he did not complete the sale!

    I find it hard to believe that it costs more for a five gallon jug (per gallon) than it does for individual gallon cans of the stuff. Any ideas on where to get good deals on one or five gallons?

  2. #2
    tdmidget is online now Titanium
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Posts
    3,357

    Default

    If you have your own container then your local Oil distributor might have it in bulk.

    What is "stone bath"?

  3. #3
    Toms Wheels's Avatar
    Toms Wheels is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    Cleaning hand grinding stones.

  4. #4
    olcop is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pembroke, Ga
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Lowes has it, look for a can marked "Paint Thinner" AFIK, it's mineral spirits, sure smells like it and seems to work the same----they sell cans marked "mineral spirits" too, but for a few more dollars per gallon---go figure that,
    seems to be the same stuff, the can of paint thinner I bought had the ingredients listed as "mineral spirits.
    olcop

  5. #5
    extropic is online now Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    WA, USA
    Posts
    404

    Default

    My local (Longview) petroleum distributer will fill my container for about $5 per gallon (it's been a while for me).
    Are you sure your supplier was clear that you wanted your container filled, not minimum delivery order?
    I'd try some other distributers (the more rural, the better).

  6. #6
    Mark Leigh is online now Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Merced, Calif
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Here in Central Calif 5 gals from Chevron Dist. is 40 dollars plus tax----- 55 gals is 6.60 a gallon --------363.00 for a drum ---- I have seen one gallon cans across the country for anywhere from 11 to 14 dollars ---- in parts stores , etc

  7. #7
    coyotegj is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Burkburnett, Texas
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Check with all your paint stores. I bought 5 gallons in 1 gallon containers a few weeks ago in Wichita Falls, Texas and the cost was just under $10.00 per gallon. I bought 5 gallons of kerosene in bulk at the same time and the cost on it was $7 per gallon. The kerosene was bought from a local company that sells it in bulk only. Good Luck.

  8. #8
    metlmunchr is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Asheville NC USA
    Posts
    8,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coyotegj View Post
    I bought 5 gallons of kerosene in bulk at the same time and the cost on it was $7 per gallon. The kerosene was bought from a local company that sells it in bulk only. Good Luck.
    Sounds like the oil companies are robbing the Texas homeboys. Lots of gas stations and convenience stores around here have a pump for K-1 kerosene since a lot is sold for use in kerosene heaters. i noticed the pump price one day this past week when i was getting gas. $4.10/gal for undyed K-1.

  9. #9
    bhigdog is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    572

    Default

    I see your on the Left Coast but here in the North East a farm supply store called Tractor Supply sells 5 gal pails for $41.99. They call it Parts washing solvent, label says petroleum distallate . I picked up a pail yesterday and it very much appears to be very low odor mineral spirits. Check with farm supply stores in your area. Farmers know how to get the most bang for the buck and their supply stores act accordingly.....Bob

  10. #10
    Jeff_M_PA is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    302

    Default

    You might try shopping for Stoddard Solvent at your local petroleum products distributor, as a couple other folks suggested. Mine has it in bulk, so bring a can. Works great in the parts washer, about $5/gal.

    According to Wikipedia: Stoddard Solvent: "(M)ineral spirits, also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum) or Stoddard solvent, is a petroleum-derived clear, transparent liquid which is a common organic solvent used in painting and decorating. In 1924, Atlanta dry cleaner W. J. Stoddard worked with Lloyd E. Jackson of the Mellon Institute of Industrial Research to develop a less volatile dry cleaning solvent as an alternative to the petroleum solvents in use. Dry cleaners began using the result of their work in 1928 and it soon became the predominant dry cleaning solvent in the United States, until the late 1950s.

    Fun fact: Mellon Institute of Industrial Research was one ancestor of Carnegie-Mellon University here in Pittsburgh.

    Jeff

  11. #11
    Garwood is online now Stainless
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    1,999

    Default

    I buy it from Sherwin williams because they're just a few miles away from the shop and it's $9.50 a gallon with account.

  12. #12
    Timw is offline Stainless
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    N E Florida
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    I buy it at Ace Hardware- $10-11. a gallon. And yes buy the paint thinner not M S labled.

  13. #13
    aerodark's Avatar
    aerodark is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kirkland, WA USA
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Settled on Kerosene. Lowe's had a 5 gallon jug on sale for 35 bucks.

  14. #14
    RebHawk's Avatar
    RebHawk is offline Stainless
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boone, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,002

    Default Re: Reasonable cost of Mineral Spirits

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_M_PA View Post

    According to Wikipedia: Stoddard Solvent: "(M)ineral spirits, also known as mineral turpentine, turpentine substitute, petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha (petroleum) or Stoddard solvent, is a petroleum-derived clear, transparent liquid which is a common organic solvent used in painting and decorating. In 1924, Atlanta dry cleaner W. J. Stoddard worked with Lloyd E. Jackson of the Mellon Institute of Industrial Research to develop a less volatile dry cleaning solvent as an alternative to the petroleum solvents in use. Dry cleaners began using the result of their work in 1928 and it soon became the predominant dry cleaning solvent in the United States, until the late 1950s.

    Fun fact: Mellon Institute of Industrial Research was one ancestor of Carnegie-Mellon University here in Pittsburgh.

    Jeff
    Another fun fact: The B-52 bomber can use diesel, kerosene, and yes, even Stoddard solvent in a pinch. Or at least the original engines could. It's sorta hard to imagine taxiing up to the local cleaners and saying "fill er up"!

    --Hawk

  15. #15
    BobRenz is offline Stainless
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    1,654

    Default

    Any paint store will sell you paint thinner (mineral spirits). You don't want paint thinner - you just want mineral spirits. I've bought it from Tractor Supply in 5's, and from Home Depot in 1 gallon cans - the price per gallon is very close. If I'm at either one and realize I'm low on parts washer juice, I buy it in whatever size container they have (as long as it is less than $ 10 per gallon).

    It takes time (= money) to chase around, and a buck or two doesn't go far when my gas tank needs a fill.

  16. #16
    jamie76x is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pittston, pa
    Posts
    441

    Default

    I just bought a 5 galon bucket if Saftey kleans premium solvent recently. Its almost clear and has very little smell. I don't use solvent in my parts wash tank anymore ( I used heated simple green ) But its great to have some around for cleaning stones and other crap you cant get into the wash tank. It cost me $36 delivered to my door and it came in a brand new 5 gallon bucket with nice sealing lid. The bucket has to be worth something as my landlord already has dibs on it when empty! $36 delivered to my door i thought was pretty good and since it was my first order they nailed me sales tax. On delivery I gave the driver my state t ax form and next time it will be about $34 instead.

  17. #17
    aerodark's Avatar
    aerodark is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kirkland, WA USA
    Posts
    2,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamie76x View Post
    I just bought a 5 galon bucket if Saftey kleans premium solvent recently. Its almost clear and has very little smell. I don't use solvent in my parts wash tank anymore ( I used heated simple green ) But its great to have some around for cleaning stones and other crap you cant get into the wash tank. It cost me $36 delivered to my door and it came in a brand new 5 gallon bucket with nice sealing lid. The bucket has to be worth something as my landlord already has dibs on it when empty! $36 delivered to my door i thought was pretty good.
    Good to know!

  18. #18
    Timw is offline Stainless
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    N E Florida
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    Here is what I do with the Mineral Spirits.
    I converted a HF POS into a useable parts washer.
    The original design had you washing parts in the fluid with no sump.
    Now the dirt can settle out between usings.
    I use it with 3 gal of M S and change the fluid about every 2-3 months.
    If you do the conversion make sure you use a 5 gal bucket that had oil/grease in it. Some other buckets will deterioate from the M S.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop-004.jpg  

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •