What's new
What's new

Recemend a good grinding book??

bmikkalson

Hot Rolled
So far, I've found a book by northon, tool room grinding. And a book written in 1912.

I'm looking for a book on setting up to grind square and accurate . Using the mag chuck etc.
more of a how to use a surface grinder and get accurate results .
Thanks

i have not come across books on surface grinding (there is some stuff on tool grinding). but look at suburban videos. don has been producing a lot of vids lately, i have not seen them all. then there is this guy: Shadon HKW
- YouTube
. the The Tool Room: Members Only has a lot of basic stuff, you have to pay around $100 for access. i was desperate enough a couple of year ago to do so. (his chanel has "tapered off" lately, not much new stuff to look at.)

i have not come across books on surface grinding (there is some stuff on tool grinding). but look at suburban videos. don has been producing a lot of vids lately, i have not seen them all. then there is this guy: Shadon HKW
- YouTube
. the The Tool Room: Members Only has a lot of basic stuff, you have to pay around $100 for access. i was desperate enough a couple of year ago to do so. (his chanel has "tapered off" lately, not much new stuff to look at.)

I've watched Sunurban tools video over and over👍
Is the tool and die worth $100?? I realy only have about $10 so...

I had the same issue when I got my grinder, not much info online.

Around the same time many people on YouTube got surface grinders so grinding videos slowly started coming out. I also talk to someone on Instagram who knows his shit.

Maybe someone should start a "Grinding Tips and Tricks" thread to give advise to those with questions on grinding.

Let me tell you, grinder tooling isn't cheap!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I've watched Sunurban tools video over and over👍
Is the tool and die worth $100?? I realy only have about $10 so...

I can tell you that I've spent more than $10 on any grind book I've purchased. Can't say I've learned anything super valuable either. Then again none of them are explicitly on surface grinding.
That is if you buy. If you look around enough you can find PDF scans of most books. Now whether it's copyrighted or not is a whole other issue.

Looking at that site I can't see anything particularly special from the photos that you couldn't learn on your own. Unless you're a complete noob and looking to learn from bottom up.

As mentioned Shadon HKW has some spectacular videos on surface grinding, in great detail.

You may get better results in the grinding forum... Cash is specifically a professional for hire grinding hand( and more) but in general- there are grinding theories and it depnds on machine type and make how it works best for you. primary is dressing, wheel type, and general grind practice, they all come into play.

Colvin and Stanley, Grinding Practices. All the good books are 100 years old now. The machinery has changed but the practices are the same as they always have been.

I had the same issue when I got my grinder, not much info online.
Let me tell you, grinder tooling isn't cheap!
Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Having limited grinding experience, I'm curious to have this one fleshed out a little. Can someone do a little math for me? I would have thought that care and feeding of a grinder would be minimal after the initial purchase of the machine, a few wheels, and a fixture or two. Maybe it's the fixturing being referred to?

Colvin and Stanley, Grinding Practices. All the good books are 100 years old now. The machinery has changed but the practices are the same as they always have been.

There's a short chapter on surface grinding in it, but it just goes into some generalities and not very much into the nitty gritty.

Any decent book you are going to buy is going to cost more than $10. If that really is your limit, I would suggest that you check out the local public library. You are in St Paul and I would think they would have a library system. Your local branch should be able to order books from other branches. And libraries often can order books by request. Look at whatever books they have and check out any references in them to other works.

This way you can find a good one to spend your $10 on, perhaps a used copy on E-bay.

As for grinding something square on a surface grinder, I would think that is mostly an exercise in fixturing. Once you get one side flat, you clamp that flat side against a known, good angle and do a second one. You will need a second square or angle to set up for the third one. Then you can grind the remaining three parallel to the first three. Finally check/inspect it.

So far, I've found square and accurate . Using the mag chuck etc.
more of a how to use a surface grinder and get accurate results . a book by northon, tool room grinding. And a book written in 1912.

I'm looking for a book on setting up to grind
Thanks
I'm an old grey head and spent years grinding progressive dies on the surface grinder before the Wire EDM. I'm afraid there is little information in books. As far as I know it's on the job training.
I'll try to help!
Before you mount the wheel onto the spindle, ta the side wheel for a sharp crisp ring. If you get a thud, break the wheel and thrash it.

Grinding square blocks: Grind the largest surface top and bottom first. Then the next largest on one Side of the block. Then one End of the block. In this Order. Set the ground side on the chuck and grind to dimension. Grind the end to dimension. The tools needed are a dressing diamond a good square angle plate, parallel clamps, not c-clamps they tend to twist when clamping and a 6" scale. The Surface Grinder can wear you out if you let it by raising and lowering the wheel to adjust for different size blocks.

After grinding top and bottom surfaces: Lay your 6" scale on the chuck. Lay the side of the block on the chuck next to the 6" scale, turn your Angle Plate up side down on top of the scale and turn on the magnet. Clamp the work to the Angle Plate. Turn the Angle Plate over and grind the first side. You repeat the process until all your blocks are ground Square.
The reason for using the scale this way is so your not cranking up and down for different size blocks. it sets the work the same height from the chuck and is only necessary to back the grinding wheel a half turn for the next block. Be sure to back-up your work so they don't move when grinding.

Grinding Wheel Selection: Norton Wheels
For steel use Aluminum Oxide wheels.
Low Carbon Steel-38A46 to 60H8VBE
Hardened Steels, Flat work. 38A60H8VBE
Radii, 38A80I8VBE, Very Small Radii 38A100K8VBE

Grinding the side of a block; grind from the top down and do not move in from the side. Under cut the side of the wheel a few thousands deep, down the side, just short the edge. Use 38A100K8VBE. Grinding wheels are not designed to move in from the side and moving in sideways creates a lot of heat. When grinding the side of a block, .0002 to .0003 down feed at a pass. The maximum depth on flat work at a pass .002 to .003.
Use 38A100K8VBE to finish sharp corners down to.005 radii.
This will take you a long way short of being with you at the grinder for contour grinding. If you have questions I'll follow the thread.

Roger 03/05/2017

Regarding the question on the cost of tooling, if you are just grinding simple square shapes, then really beyond maybe a grinding vise and some parallels, yes the tooling is fairly cheap. Mix in a quaility radius dresser, a whirly gig, a work head, tooling sharpening fixtures, magnetic parallels and blocks, then the costs add up.

"There's a short chapter on surface grinding in it, but it just goes into some generalities and not very much into the nitty gritty."

That's the way the best ones are. You read it as a novice and think, "well that was useless." A few years later you read it again and think "OH! THAT'S when he meant!" Ten years later you read it and think "OH YEAH! THAT'S what he meant!"

When I bot my first surface grinder 10 years ago I bought all the books I could find. I have all the books mentioned in this thread but the one I found most useful was By Richard R. Kibbe, "Grinding Machine Operations".

I can't find it now,however I think the name of one of my reference books was called "The Grinding Wheel".Had a lot of information on all kinds of grinding.I'm sure it is out of print but try that name in E-Bay.

When I bot my first surface grinder 10 years ago I bought all the books I could find. I have all the books mentioned in this thread but the one I found most useful was By Richard R. Kibbe, "Grinding Machine Operations".

Looks like a good book, but omg on amazon it's $500. 🙁

Back