What's new
What's new

Recommend a 45* facemill insert for milling 304?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

I'm losing inserts fast on 304. I'm running Sumitomo's right now, SEHW1204AFTN ACP200 and ACP300. Edges are breaking down. Manual machine, K&T 2CH. 225 SFM, .006" feed per tooth.

Who's got a SEHW insert they like for 304?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Kennametal SEHW1204AFN KC725M

GLACERN FM45-250 Facemill

I ran those on a 304 job a few years ago, I learned pretty fast that you gotta run dry (air blast) and your feed has to be aggressive enough so you don't work harden the part.

Edit

SEHW43A6

Add machine stiffness into the equation - if your ways, leadscrew, spindle bearings, etc. are at all loose, you'll be smacking the carbide around as you feed into the material, and that excess vibration and motion breaks down carbide edges quickly. If that's an issue, you may have to use a smaller cutter body and take more passes to lower the cutting stresses.

Mike,

Not sure if this will help you out or not, but I have been using one of these mills from Curtis (exkenna) at Lathe Inserts.

FACE MILL

I have used it on some 17-4 but not 306, so can't tell you that it will work for you or not...but they work well and come with a 2 year replacement warranty, no questions, and use SEET inserts.

I don't do near the type of volume that you probably do, but others are using the mill here also and everyone seems happy with them.

Cheers,
Alan

Back