What's new
What's new

Recommendations for floor scales for weighing skids?

motion guru

Diamond
We are getting ready to pour concrete in our new facility and I am thinking a recessed floor scale would be good to have.

Any recommendations for a 5000 lb capacity scale?

Should we plan on a steel frame embed in the concrete around the perimeter of the scale that protects the edges of the scale?

Thanks for any thoughts . . . need to get this figured out this week.

I don't know how solid you are in your work flow planning, but I'd be reluctant to pour it in concrete. There are lots of low profile pallet scales available that are easily movable. I don't think mine is 4" high. Many don't even have to have 120V, they will run for months on a car battery. I have a 4' x 4' I think was $1300 delivered. Certified for trade was only $100 or so extra.

If you wish a flush scale so it can be placed in the traffic pattern you will need a much more robust scale. Otherwise it will be out of the traffic flow, so height isn't a problem.

Since shipping is a big cost, surely in your area there are scale suppliers that cater to the ag trade that have your requirements in stock.

If you put in the floor, just wait for the day when somebody drives accross one corner of it.

The new stuff has gotten so cheap that it's almost a perishable item. You should be able to get a 5K for less than $2K delivered and set-up. I've seen stuff at way lower than that, but don't know where it's made.
JR

Running the edge of the pallet or fork into the scale is far more likely than driving on it with the forklift . . . we just want accurate weights when shipping so that we can keep our freight haulers honest.

Modern load cell scales should easily take an enormous overload without damage. Just had a crane scale apart. It was easy to see you could overload it at least 5 times without damage.

After looking at options - we can buy a 10,000 lb scale x 2 lb resolution that is 6ft x 6ft and overload capacity to 30,000 lbs for under $4k.

They also sell a steel form to pour concrete up to so I'll probably go that route with a wireless display.

Modern load cell scales should easily take an enormous overload without damage. Just had a crane scale apart. It was easy to see you could overload it at least 5 times without damage.

I don't know about crane and platform scales, but a typical loadcell is good to 150% of rated capacity and once you go past 300% you are running the risk of ripping it apart. Depending on the cell style they can be built with 'overload protection' in them. Overload protection being when it reaches rated deformation it bears against a solid face. A shear web cell can be overload protected in compression, but not tension. I've seen S-beam cells for such small loads they have to be overload protected otherwise setting them on a desk hard would overload them.

Back