What's new
What's new

Recommendations of rebuilders for a Bridgeport step pulley mill

browniesharp

Aluminum
I am now looking into having my step pulley Bridgeport mill put back in better condition - “rebuilding or remanufacturing”. This would mean replacing the bearings, grinding/scrapping the table, knee, column, etc and new screws. I live in New Jersey and wonder if there are machinery rebuilders in the state which would do a competent job on my Bridgeport. If none are within New Jersey, I am willing to ship the machine to the Midwest for a recommended rebuilder.

So far a google search of this forum has revealed just two names. From several years ago, one had mixed reviews and the other had gone out of business. I have seen several web videos from “rebuilders” and shuttered at their heavy handed procedures.

Are there organizations that still do this service? Afterward I’ll replace the motor VFD setup.

I am considering this "rebuild" since my present machine (36" table) just fits into the space in my crowded shop. The common 42" table will not allow me to close the door to the shop or walk around the machine. Are there any quality machines that are similar in robustness to this Bridgeport and currently in production? If so I would consider the purchase of one.

Last edited:
I am now looking into having my step pulley Bridgeport mill put back in better condition - “rebuilding or remanufacturing”. This would mean replacing the bearings, grinding/scrapping the table, knee, column, etc and new screws. I live in New Jersey and wonder if there are machinery rebuilders in the state which would do a competent job on my Bridgeport. If none are within New Jersey, I am willing to ship the machine to the Midwest for a recommended rebuilder.

So far a google search of this forum has revealed just two names. From several years ago, one had mixed reviews and the other had gone out of business. I have seen several web videos from “rebuilders” and shuttered at their heavy handed procedures.

Are there organizations that still do this service? Afterward I’ll replace the motor VFD setup.

Proper rebuilding requires a great deal of skilled labour that costs as much on common, inexpensive, easily-replaced general-purpose machine-tools as it does on rare and specialized ones that are far more difficult to duplicate the functions of. Those may be worth it. A "white bread", BP, not so much.

Unless highly functionally CNC'ed, are you sure it is going to be worth it, vs just seeking a newer general-purpose vertical mill already in better condition and peddling your one for the fair-decent price even a worn Bridgeport often draws from those who'd just as well DIY a refurb with mostly their OWN labour and scavenged parts?

JM2CW

I know it's hard to find, but there is a BP forum.

John Fahnstock would be my first choice as he is close to you. You can catch him on the BP forum as Sidecar 580.

H&W sells rebuilt machines and will rebuild one for you. John is also on the BP forum

JR

[B

Unless highly functionally CNC'ed, are you sure it is going to be worth it, vs just seeking a newer general-purpose vertical mill already in better condition and peddling your one for the fair-decent price even a worn Bridgeport often draws from those who'd just as well DIY a refurb with mostly their OWN labour and scavenged parts?

JM2CW

I second this statement. If you want a real rebuild that brings the machine back to original specs, it is going to cost as much or more than a new machine.

Two weeks prior to submitting the initial post, I contacted Wells Index about a milling machine that would suit my space requirements –36 inch table size and secondly the overall height (low ceiling). We discussed assembling a machine based on an obsolete model - 757 series. I was uncertain whether this would be made up from castings “lying around” or it would be a rebuilt machine. Regardless the mill seemed impressive and well equipped.

I was sent some information and also saw one of the machines in person. I realized it was much larger than I expected. Additional phone calls were made to Wells-Index and a machine was “customized” to reduce the overall height and incorporate a 40 inch working surface table. However the table configuration is different from that of a Bridgeport in that the tip to tip distance across the table is additional 14 inches longer. Rich Robinson (the head of Wells-Index) is working on some ways to reduce the overall table length and I am awaiting his proposal.

I was looking into a rebuild of my present machine in case the Wells-Index ends up just too big.

The main reason for me to respond to those suggesting buying a new machine is to inform forum members that Well-Index is still in business. I was very satisfied with my interaction with the company especially Rich Robinson. They are very willing to work with me to possibly “customized “ a machine to suit my requirements.

Back