What's new
What's new

Recommendations for slicing tool steel sockets

speed01rcr

Plastic
I am trying to slice a few tool sockets for a job that requires only a thin slice of the socket which is over 1" hex size. I thought to use something like a wet chop saw, but not sure if that will give a clean and square cut...

Any thoughts?

Put them in the lathe and use a parting tool. Even HSS will work on impact sockets, if its chromed you will need to remove the chrome first.

I needed a short fat socket for something or the other. I went to the used tool store, picked up a used impact socket for a quarter and parted it off in a jiffy using HSS in a Southbend 10K. They're really soft. gbent is right about the chrome.

Let me think...
Saw, Turn, Drill, Mill, Grind, Lap......
Which was top on your list and what equipment do you have?
How square does it need to be and how tight on tolerance?
For sure I turn them often as a free lathe is available but a chop saw seems like a good solution.
Bob

My observation has been that sockets are case hardened on the business end for strength and durability. Removing the case depth makes the socket less robust. Maybe this matters to you or maybe not.

A chop saw will surely detemper (distemper? Grrrrr :D) the steel. I'd stick to the parting tool. Then again, water cooling the chop saw as mentioned in the O.P. might be okay.

A chop saw will surely detemper (distemper? Grrrrr :D) the steel. I'd stick to the parting tool. Then again, water cooling the chop saw as mentioned in the O.P. might be okay.

Tempering is a softening process, so a chop saw would further temper the socket. Detempering would be the same as hardening, wouldn't it?

Back