What's new
What's new

Recommendations for twist drill brands

Sleazey

Aluminum
Who makes good twist drill bits? Any brands particularly recommended, or, abhorred?

I've got a number of metric sized twist drill bits, but I need to start getting imperial sizes, especially the # and letter series.

I have Chicago Latrobe (CL) and Precision Twist Drills (PTD). Have them in jobber length and "stub" length. I use the "stub" length for 90% of the drilling I do. There are others but I would lean toward USA.

Titex for me. I've gotten batches of Guhring drills that had uneven grinds on the tips of smaller sizes before, so I won;t be spending money on theirs anymore.

Precision Twist Drill is also a good bet for a lower price point on standard jobber lengths drills used for general purpose work, but not as good as Titex for specific material applications.

The PTD Precision Twist Drill co, seem to be real good. The cobalt line holds up well drilling in SS, I've the stub lenght in Black Oxide as well for the BP mostly, Jobber lenght for the lathes.

PTD also

Another vote for Precision Twist Drill.

I have many drills from them, particularly in the larger Silver and Deming style.

Excellent American-made products.

- Leigh

There are some folks in St. Paul, Minnesota that make very good twist drills. Some of their product ships out of one door under the Viking brand, and some ships out of another door under the Norseman brand.

Ohio Drill and Tool also knows how to make good twist drills.

I just went through this exercise this past December. Search for my thread titled "Help With Drill Selection."

I ended up going with screw machine length PTD cobalts, and I couldn't be more pleased. Holes usually come in +/- .0015. Wonderful tools. The three indices I bought are still on sale at Enco. I paid ~$360 for all three (1/16-1/2, A-Z, 1-60).

Henry

Is bright or black oxide finish best for general purpose use in steel and aluminum on the lathe and the mill?

John.

Am I the only one that likes Morse?

I have no complaints with Precision Twist, and I've been impressed with Ohio Drill for specialty stuff.

Back